Hi,
I just looking this addons (last version 2.0.1) and trying to update from 1.1.0.6 to 1.1.08, but I don't understand step 10, it shows me some files in red, but if click on red button (work item) the popup only show "save to worklist" and "mark complete / ignore" I think I should see the diffs, are this ok?
Regards
CE Phoenix Upgrader Utility
Step 10 - Diffs - CE Phoenix Upgrader Utility
-
PiLLaO
- Contributor
- Posts: 129
- Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:28 pm
- Phoenix Version: v1.1.0.6
- Contact:
Re: Step 10 - Diffs
Ok,
If mark as "save to worklist" will be replaced by new core file, the other option don't update and create a backup (I don't find yet the path hehehe)
EDIT: I just find the path in upgrader/inc/change_backups/{version}
I think it's a little bit confuse
Regards
If mark as "save to worklist" will be replaced by new core file, the other option don't update and create a backup (I don't find yet the path hehehe)
EDIT: I just find the path in upgrader/inc/change_backups/{version}
Code: Select all
COPIED /templates/default/includes/override/product_card.php
BACKED UP : /templates/default/includes/override/product_card.php
inc/versions/1.1.0.7/files/templates/default/includes/override/product_card.php -> /home/public_html/myshop.com/catalog/templates/default/includes/override/product_card.phpRegards
-
PiLLaO
- Contributor
- Posts: 129
- Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:28 pm
- Phoenix Version: v1.1.0.6
- Contact:
Re: Step 10 - Diffs
Hopefully John is monitoring this discussion PiLLaO. I agree with you...it would be helpful if there was a DIFF button for each of the items on the work list. In addition it might be nice to add a tag beside the file indicating what version it is. I realise it is for the older version but I get confused easily and I keep wondering what exactly I'm looking at. It might also be useful to open/view and perhaps update the code for both the old and new versions right from the work list. What do you think?I think I should see the diffs, are this ok?
Dan
Last edited by Dan Cole on Thu Oct 01, 2026 3:42 pm
-
Dan Cole
- Senior Contributor
- Posts: 547
- Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:14 pm
- Phoenix Version: 1.0.8.21
- Contact:
Re: Step 10 - Diffs
I first added the diffs in step 8 when you are analysing the differences between the site and the core code. So they show the differences between those two files.
What you would typically do is make some sort of list of the things you have to look at to prepare for the upgrade and to track progress through it. I can see that people will want to set about checking an upgrade in their own ways and didn't want to be too prescriptive at the outset with worklist items. That's why it's free text plus some basic progress statuses; hopefully it lets you make the list in the tool rather than on notepad or something.
At this point, worklist items are purely documentary. They are displayed in step 10 so that you can see any that relate to files which are going to be replaced in the upgrade. They do not prevent the files from getting overwritten.
I can add a diff display in step 10 too - presumably it should show the difference between the site file and the core file of the next version.
What you would typically do is make some sort of list of the things you have to look at to prepare for the upgrade and to track progress through it. I can see that people will want to set about checking an upgrade in their own ways and didn't want to be too prescriptive at the outset with worklist items. That's why it's free text plus some basic progress statuses; hopefully it lets you make the list in the tool rather than on notepad or something.
At this point, worklist items are purely documentary. They are displayed in step 10 so that you can see any that relate to files which are going to be replaced in the upgrade. They do not prevent the files from getting overwritten.
I can add a diff display in step 10 too - presumably it should show the difference between the site file and the core file of the next version.
-
BrockleyJohn
- Certified Developer
- Posts: 189
- Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:37 pm
- Phoenix Version:
- : Buy Me A Beverage
- Contact:
Re: Step 10 - Diffs
As usual John, I'm probably confused. I was thinking that step 10 was the same as the work list that is produced clicking on this prompt.At this point, worklist items are purely documentary. They are displayed in step 10 so that you can see any that relate to files which are going to be replaced in the upgrade. They do not prevent the files from getting overwritten.
Review Your Core Changes against 1.1.0.7 (RECOMMENDED BEFORE EACH UPGRADE)
And at this point in the process it seemed like it would be very helpful if you could not only add comments about what changed or needed to be done but include buttons etc that would be helpful in accomplishing those things. Hence the reasons for the various suggestions I made. I now realise that PiLLaO and I were likely talking about two different things.
Dan
-
Dan Cole
- Senior Contributor
- Posts: 547
- Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:14 pm
- Phoenix Version: 1.0.8.21
- Contact:
Re: Step 10 - Diffs
The worklist items are the same in both steps, so you can write something in step 7 and read it against the same file in step 10 when that file is about to get overwritten.
I agree about adding useful functionality in step 7 - move modified file to template and revert catalog file to core for example.
Useful things could probably be added in step 10 too. And now that I think about it, you do want to update things here. For example, if the new core version has new definitions added to a language file which is overridden in the template, they need to be added to the template file or that page/module will be broken. This example is something that could be applied before the update, but I imagine there may be things that will only work on the new core version and not the old (template overrides perhaps). There may be some mileage in streamlining the copying in of new versions of your customisations at the same time as copying in the new core.
I agree about adding useful functionality in step 7 - move modified file to template and revert catalog file to core for example.
Useful things could probably be added in step 10 too. And now that I think about it, you do want to update things here. For example, if the new core version has new definitions added to a language file which is overridden in the template, they need to be added to the template file or that page/module will be broken. This example is something that could be applied before the update, but I imagine there may be things that will only work on the new core version and not the old (template overrides perhaps). There may be some mileage in streamlining the copying in of new versions of your customisations at the same time as copying in the new core.
-
BrockleyJohn
- Certified Developer
- Posts: 189
- Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:37 pm
- Phoenix Version:
- : Buy Me A Beverage
- Contact:
Re: Step 10 - Diffs
John, I agree there are a number of things that can to added to a pre and post work list to make this more useful and easy to use...whether in a free or paid version. If I can help along the way don't hesitate to let me know. I'll continue providing suggestions as they come to mind and also to beat the drum in the hopes that this will help the community keep their shops up-to-date.I agree about adding useful functionality in step 7 - move modified file to template and revert catalog file to core for example.
Useful things could probably be added in step 10 too. And now that I think about it, you do want to update things here. For example, if the new core version has new definitions added to a language file which is overridden in the template, they need to be added to the template file or that page/module will be broken. This example is something that could be applied before the update, but I imagine there may be things that will only work on the new core version and not the old (template overrides perhaps). There may be some mileage in streamlining the copying in of new versions of your customisations at the same time as copying in the new core.
Dan
-
Dan Cole
- Senior Contributor
- Posts: 547
- Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:14 pm
- Phoenix Version: 1.0.8.21
- Contact:
