Moving to Phoenix Cart from Woocommerce - a few questions!

Ask the community for help and support.
rmrkat

Moving to Phoenix Cart from Woocommerce - a few questions!

Post by rmrkat »

Hello! My forum and documentation search hasn't been successful so I appreciate your assistance.

I've had a Woocommerce "store" for many years and have gotten used to its capabilities. I'm also increasingly frustrated by its bloaty annoying behaviors that make it a terrible experience for my visitors.

The site is a low traffic registration site for an annual benefit event. Its purpose is to register people for the event and I've wrestled Woo into making that happen. It works but it's painful to manage.

I started a Phoenix Cart installation to try for a better experience and it's really been fun so far! However, I need to understand if there is a way to customize multiple attributes for a single item.

For example, when people register, they provide the day they are arriving, if they are staying in various locations, and how many years they have attended. And then I have an input box for their name.

I also have a shirt size and sleeve length I need to get. They don't get to choose a color. We only have one shirt per year/event.

I have to gather each person separately so they get their shirt so I can't let people add 4 registrations to a cart. That leads to on-site nightmares later trying to give out shirts to the right people. OK, I could. But we really need names of folks who attend.

So far, I haven't figured out a best way to replicate what I have built in Woo. I really am enjoying getting to know Phoenix Cart but my time to figure this out is very short.

Thank you for your help and advice!
burt
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Re: Moving to Phoenix Cart from Woocommerce - a few questions!

Post by burt »

The options/attributes system is not ideal in Phoenix. It's basically a simple system of drop down boxes that won't do what you need without extensive coding and changes. This area has been on the to-do list for a very long time and I did in fact engage a commercial developer to revamp the whole system, unfortunately that developer had some issues with Phoenix and the older osCommerce "eco system" so decided not to release the code in a meaningful way that would have allowed us to use it as core code. He never did finish the system (and this was 3 or 4 years ago) so is long since gone.

I'm not sure if there is an already made addon that addresses the options system (eg the ability to add in radio buttons, text option and so on) - it may very well exist from one of the commercial developers so it might be worth exploring that if you are on a schedule. app.php/developers

Sorry that this post doesn't really help, but at least it lets you know "it's not an easy piece of code to work with".
Gamechanger Addon: Queued Emails, try before you buy.
rmrkat

Post by rmrkat »

I'm a little sad that the functionality isn't quite there but I'm also relieved that I'm not full bonkers that I couldn't find it or figure it out. Thanks so much!
14Steve14
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by 14Steve14 »

rmrkat wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:44 am I'm a little sad that the functionality isn't quite there but I'm also relieved that I'm not full bonkers that I couldn't find it or figure it out. Thanks so much!
I may be worth while contacting on of the certified developers to see whether they could create the functionality that you require. It may not be that hard for them to do. Worth an ask anyway.
rmrkat

Post by rmrkat »

A good idea! I appreciate it!