New install, templates not functioning

Ask the community for help and support.
jdubhros

New install, templates not functioning

Post by jdubhros »

I installed a clean version of Phoenix, complete with new database. Everything is working well until I tried to work with the templates.

I did not want to make core changes and so at first I created a new template folder and copied the contents of "override" into it to make some changes. When I selected the template in the control panel I got a blank screen. When this failed to work, I assumed user end error and repeated with same results.

So then I wanted to check and see if it was a template thing. I deleted the files in the new template and copied the files from "override" into it with no changes. It showed a blank screen once more. After checking to make sure both override and default worked when switched in the control panel. I copied the override folder over changed the name to override2 and tried to activate it in the template. Again blank screen. Override and default continued to work when switched back to.

I realized there were files missing in override so I attempted to copy from default into overide2, and the same blank on the new templates the original two worked.

Thinking that perhaps there was some sort of lock focusing on default and override, I copied override as a backup on my system. I then copied the files form default into override on the server and now override will not work, but default is still good.

Since CE Phoenix does not seem to like any template I download to my system and back again, I do not want to touch default. I have not had this problem with any other files. I am using filezillia if it helps, and it is fully updated.

I am still pretty sure this is user end error since the original default file works, but I am not sure where my error is. I will switch it over to over ride, so you can see the blank screen.

Update:
Since it was a new install I just deleted the whole thing and reinstalled it. I then made a backup on my system, where i created a folders named test1 and test2. I copied the contents of the defeat and override templates into those folders and uploaded them to the templates folder on the server. No changes at all.

I still got a blank screen for my homepage, the cart was restored when I reverted back to default or override. I cant for the life of me figure out what could have changed during that transfer.

Which version of Phoenix you are using?
CE Phoenix v1.0.8.20
Is this a new install or an existing store?
New Install - https://houseofdubhros.com/store/index.php
What version of PHP are you using?
8.0.27 (Zend 4.0.27)
What Addons have you installed
None, but I have turned off some features with the "false" command.
(update: Clean install no changes or modifications, just copied the contents of override into a folder with a different name. Got a blank screen when selecting the new template.)
What "customized changes" have you made to core code any core code changes you have made, list them
None

Tags:
Kofod95
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: New install, templates not functioning

Post by Kofod95 »

This file (but in your new template): https://github.com/CE-PhoenixCart/Phoen ... mplate.php

must have references to "override" changed to the name of your new template (at least the class-name, but more instances, if you want the template to fetch the data from the new template).

CE PhoenixCart will load files in selected template if they are present and load the rest from the default template, so you only need template, css and hook files with changes to be in the selected template.

I hope this helps!

//Daniel
I'm not smart, but sometimes even a blind chicken can find a corn.
Here are a lot of corns: Phoenix user guide
heatherbell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by heatherbell »

jdubhros wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:59 pmEverything is working well until I tried to work with the templates.
In addition to editing https://github.com/CE-PhoenixCart/Phoen ... mplate.php as described in previous answer, ensure your template is selected in admin > Configuration > My Store > Template Selection
jdubhros

Post by jdubhros »

You bastions of kindness, you got it in one! Thank you so much.

It looks like in my infinite wisdom I completely neglected to update the name in the template file. And thank you both for updating me on the function I tried Phoenix in its several years back and liked the template aspect, but it basically meant a copy of just about the entire set of files.

Thank you both again.