Live Chat / Support Addon

Ask the community for help and support.
burt
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Re: Live Chat / Support Addon

Post by burt »

My advice, considering the addon does not exist...was to simply get a quote and then move forward from there, be that "abandon the idea" or "get 'er done".

What has happened many times in the past is that some people who all had the same/similar need, have come together and each put into "the pot" a smaller amount which has allowed someone with coding experience to move forward and create some code or a module or whatever. IE, if the quote was, say, $500 and you can find 5 people to share, that's only $100 each.

The idea of multiple people subsidising code work is how Phoenix came into being and evolved. Back in 2015, I had a customer who wanted a better version of osCommerce, I then approached a few other previous customers to see if they would also want something similar. A few did, which enabled me to take some time to make the initial version of the Responsive osCommerce (which has since been improved massively over the years).

Anyway, my advice was well-meant.
Gamechanger Addon: Queued Emails, try before you buy.
bestmate

Post by bestmate »

ecartz wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:01 am In terms of a live chat add-on specifically, I note that there are several providers who offer Javascript that you can add to your site.
Thanks for your input @ecartz

I personally prefer for addons to come from sources in-house or by phoenix developers as there is plenty of support if needed by the community. I don't much like the idea of trying to plug in something that is from third party sources especially where customer data may be involved.

We have to try as much as possible to keep everything in-house so as not to fall foul of GDPR laws. A lot can go wrong in a process whereby third party tools are plugged into your system or your system relies on them. In some cases such as processing payments, this is unavoidable but a simple chat addon or plugin to engage with potential customers does not need to run off third party platforms.

Anyways, thanks for all comments.
Last edited by bestmate on Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bestmate

Post by bestmate »

Kofod95 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:12 pm Still, I agree that it would be nice if someone could make it available, which this thread clearly shows and argues would be of interest to some :)

//Daniel
Thanks for your understanding @Kofod95
bestmate

Post by bestmate »

burt wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:21 am My advice, considering the addon does not exist...was to simply get a quote and then move forward from there, be that "abandon the idea" or "get 'er done".

What has happened many times in the past is that some people who all had the same/similar need, have come together and each put into "the pot" a smaller amount which has allowed someone with coding experience to move forward and create some code or a module or whatever. IE, if the quote was, say, $500 and you can find 5 people to share, that's only $100 each.

The idea of multiple people subsidising code work is how Phoenix came into being and evolved. Back in 2015, I had a customer who wanted a better version of osCommerce, I then approached a few other previous customers to see if they would also want something similar. A few did, which enabled me to take some time to make the initial version of the Responsive osCommerce (which has since been improved massively over the years).

Anyway, my advice was well-meant.
Thank you @burt I understand where you are coming from.