Sessions Setup

Ask the community for help and support.
lecarlb
VIP Member
VIP Member

Sessions Setup

Post by lecarlb »

Hello,

I've been having some concerns with seeing Google crawling, attempting to index, de-indexing and flagging pages with session ids. I asked questions and received some valuable help. It just dawned on me that maybe I have something setup incorrectly.

Do I turn on Force Cookie Usage and Prevent Spider Sessions? If I turn on Force Cookie Usage, what's the worse that could happen?
session_setup (1).png
Also, how do I remove page, currency and view all from the url? I used the following snippet of code to remove some things from the url already:

Code: Select all

$extract =  ['cPath', 'manufacturers_id', 'sort']; // removes cPath and manufacturers_id
Thanks everyone.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
burt
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Re: Sessions Setup

Post by burt »

Prevent Spider Sessions should be "True", always.

Ensure you have "Canonical Urls" header tag module turned on, and that they are working in the page code, they should change this:

site.com/product_info.php?products_id=1&sid=fejciwebcjewbvwe&x=y&what=ever
to
site.com/product_info.php?products_id=1

Force Cookie Usage is a strange one, I'm not sure why we have this, other than as an artifact of osCommerce. If I remember correctly, this forces the SID into a Cookie, so no SID shows in the URL. That wouldn't affect Robots though, I think. I think I'd leave this as "False" if it was me.
Gamechanger Addon: Queued Emails, try before you buy.
ecartz
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Re: Sessions Setup

Post by ecartz »

burt wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:16 am this forces the SID into a Cookie, so no SID shows in the URL. That wouldn't affect Robots though, I think.
It makes no SID show ever. Robots included. The only downside is that if a customer has cookies turned off, then they won't be able to log in until they turn cookies on for the site.