How to remove Currency and other things from url?

Ask the community for help and support.
lecarlb
VIP Member
VIP Member

How to remove Currency and other things from url?

Post by lecarlb »

I'm trying to remove the currency from the url. Obviously, Google tries to index pages with currencies in the url.

Since I only sell in U.S., the only currency I have set in admin is USD. There are instances of CAD and MXN in the url.

What should I check?

Also, there are instances of page and view_all in the url. It's causing some crawl issues in Google Search Console with canonical.

Thanks in advance.
burt
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Re: How to remove Currency and other things from url?

Post by burt »

Here are the URLs that canonical header tag generates;

index.php
index.php?view=all&cPath=x
index.php?view=all&manufacturers_id=x
product_info.php?products_id=x
products_new.php?view=all
specials.php?view=all

Any other parameters on those URLs in google are incorrect. What you need to do is go to (eg) index.php?cPath=x (where x is one of your categories), then view source and see exactly what the canonical says. Pls report back.
Gamechanger Addon: Queued Emails, try before you buy.
lecarlb
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by lecarlb »

burt wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:03 am Here are the URLs that canonical header tag generates;

index.php
index.php?view=all&cPath=x
index.php?view=all&manufacturers_id=x
product_info.php?products_id=x
products_new.php?view=all
specials.php?view=all

Any other parameters on those URLs in google are incorrect. What you need to do is go to (eg) index.php?cPath=x (where x is one of your categories), then view source and see exactly what the canonical says. Pls report back.
I checked as suggested. The canonicals are correct. However in my 1.0.8.4 site, in the product listing module and in an addon called Auto Related Products the urls remain in standard Phoenix format. That may be where the issues are. I'm using Ultimate SEO Urls. This isn't an issue in my 1.0.7.16 site.
burt
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by burt »

lecarlb wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:16 am 1.0.8.4 site, in the product listing module and in an addon called Auto Related Products the urls remain in standard Phoenix format. That may be where the issues are. I'm using Ultimate SEO Urls. This isn't an issue in my 1.0.7.16 site.
I'm not too familiar with any of the SEO Url addons - I've never used them.

I think what you are saying is this;

in the product listing module, the URL to a product maybe looks like this; yoursite.com/product_info.php?products_id=10&cPath=2&x=y etc - but when you click the link, you get to (eg) yoursite.com/lemon-p-10.html

What you need to do is look at the source code of yoursite.com/lemon-p-10.html and see what the canonical says. It should say yoursite.com/lemon-p-10.html

If no, maybe check with the SEO Url addon maker. If yes, then you must next check your XML sitemap (or whatever sitemap you have installed, if any) and see if that is saying yoursite.com/lemon-p-10.html or if it is saying yoursite.com/product_info.php?products_id=10

Basically, *everything* needs to match so google does not get confused. Once everything matches, you should then approach google and force them to update their URLs of your site. I think I recall a way to do that in google webmasters.

You might also have links to your site from other sites, which the google robot may be following. Even so, so long as you have your site set up correctly in terms of the canonical and the sitemap etc, then this should not matter.
Gamechanger Addon: Queued Emails, try before you buy.
lecarlb
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by lecarlb »

burt wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:14 am
lecarlb wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:16 am 1.0.8.4 site, in the product listing module and in an addon called Auto Related Products the urls remain in standard Phoenix format. That may be where the issues are. I'm using Ultimate SEO Urls. This isn't an issue in my 1.0.7.16 site.
I'm not too familiar with any of the SEO Url addons - I've never used them.

I think what you are saying is this;

in the product listing module, the URL to a product maybe looks like this; yoursite.com/product_info.php?products_id=10&cPath=2&x=y etc - but when you click the link, you get to (eg) yoursite.com/lemon-p-10.html

What you need to do is look at the source code of yoursite.com/lemon-p-10.html and see what the canonical says. It should say yoursite.com/lemon-p-10.html

If no, maybe check with the SEO Url addon maker. If yes, then you must next check your XML sitemap (or whatever sitemap you have installed, if any) and see if that is saying yoursite.com/lemon-p-10.html or if it is saying yoursite.com/product_info.php?products_id=10

Basically, *everything* needs to match so google does not get confused. Once everything matches, you should then approach google and force them to update their URLs of your site. I think I recall a way to do that in google webmasters.

You might also have links to your site from other sites, which the google robot may be following. Even so, so long as you have your site set up correctly in terms of the canonical and the sitemap etc, then this should not matter.
I use the XML Sitemap add on that was updated. I can say for certain that the urls are in standard Phoenix format. When I click on a link in product listing, the url and canonical matches.

Thanks.