Page 1 of 2
Problem with the Breadcrumb ?
Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2026 1:49 pm
by cerberus
Hi all.
I am running version : 1.1.0.7
I have a issue I hope you can help me with. I have installed phoenix cart into a folder so my web address is : MY URL/shop (shop is the name of the folder it is installed in).
On the breadcrumb the "Catalog" link goes to the start page (URL/shop), but the "Home" button with a picture of a house takes me to : //URL, it does not go to the "Shop" folder where my cart is installed.
As I dont have any site in //URL just get a message from the webspace provider saying "Your account is all set up, it's time to build your website!"
How can I edit/change the breadcrumb so it works correctly ?
I have checked the phoenix demo site and it does the same, the demo site looks like it is installed into a folder called "demo", but again on the demo site the home (house) link in the breadcrumb does not go to the shops start page, but the catalog link does.
Here is the link to the demo site :
https://phoenixcart.org/demo/
Thank you,
Steve
Re: Problem with the Breadcrumb ?
Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2026 4:11 pm
by burt
It's not a problem, it's how it is supposed to be.
You'll end up putting something in your site root? <-- that's important as your main domain name will be found by real people, search engines, AI etc. You don't want them to see your hosts holding page, right?
If you have no plan to put something in the site root, why not have the Shop there instead of in /shop/ ?
Re: Problem with the Breadcrumb ?
Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2026 6:46 pm
by cerberus
Hello burt, thank you for your reply.
I will have a different installation of something else in the root when I have finished setting everything up, so this site phoenix cart has to be in a folder.
Steve
UPDATE : what I have just done is put in a .htaccess redirect (I am new to all this so I have to look things up or ask questions), here is what I have done (pasted this into the .htacess file) :
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
Redirect 301 /index2.html
https://SHOP URL HERE/shop/index.php
</IfModule>
(index2.html is the startup file for the web service provider)
I dont know if the is the best way of doing things, but its all I know at the moment.
Re: Problem with the Breadcrumb ?
Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2026 6:45 am
by PiLLaO
override the breadcrumb module to change the links
Re: Problem with the Breadcrumb ?
Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2026 10:26 am
by cerberus
Hello PiLLaO,
How do I do that ?
(I tried searching "override the breadcrumb module" on this forum for instructions and no luck)
Thank you,
Steve
Re: Problem with the Breadcrumb ?
Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2026 11:07 am
by PiLLaO
You have the posibility to override any module, hooks and more...
In this case, you need to override the breadcrumb hook, take a look here.
catalog/templates/override/includes/hooks/shop/siteWide/(breadCrumb.php)
Re: Problem with the Breadcrumb ?
Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2026 1:53 pm
by burt
You might simply copy the language file to your chosen template.
Then change the language file appropriately.
--
Your Admin > Tools > Language Explorer.
Scroll to english > modules > content > header and click it.
Click the icon on cm_header_breadcrumb.php
You will now see a message something like;
Success: The file /includes/languages/english/modules/content/header/cm_header_breadcrumb.php has been copied to Template override.
You can find the new file at /templates/override/includes/languages/english/modules/content/header/cm_header_breadcrumb.php
Open that new file in your hosting control panel "file explorer". So that you can change it.
Change this bit:
Code: Select all
const MODULE_CONTENT_HEADER_BREADCRUMB_TITLES = [
'<i class="fas fa-home"></i><span class="sr-only"> Home</span>' => null,
'Catalog' => 'index.php',
];
To (eg):
Code: Select all
const MODULE_CONTENT_HEADER_BREADCRUMB_TITLES = [
'<i class="fas fa-home"></i><span class="sr-only"> Home</span>' => 'index.php',
];
Save the file. Reload your shop.
Now the `house icon` links to your shop index page, and the `Catalog` link is gone.
Re: Problem with the Breadcrumb ?
Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2026 2:16 pm
by cerberus
Thank you burt and PiLLaO for your help in this matter.
That did the trick, again thank you both for your help.
( this is a steep learning curve for me

)
Have a good weekend,
Steve
Re: Problem with the Breadcrumb ?
Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2026 12:39 pm
by ecartz
To clarify, out of the box, CE Phoenix Cart assumes that you are installing your store in a subfolder of your site. So Home goes to phoenixcart.org and Catalog goes to phoenixcart.org/demo
If your site only has one root, which is the store, you don't need both. So pick one of Home or Catalog and remove it from the language file. This is designed for when you have, e.g., a blog at root and your store in a subfolder. So the breadcrumb allows people to click out of the store and back to the root blog if they want.
Re: Problem with the Breadcrumb ?
Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2026 2:15 pm
by BrockleyJohn
cerberus wrote: ↑Thu Sep 10, 2026 6:46 pm
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
Redirect 301 /index2.html
https://SHOP URL HERE/shop/index.php
</IfModule>
(index2.html is the startup file for the web service provider)
I dont know if the is the best way of doing things, but its all I know at the moment.
If you still have this in, it will work for now, but I have a couple of comments. First, if you are going to have something in the root in the future, you should use a 302 redirect (temporary) not 301 permanent, as it will make it harder to index the content in the future, and 301s are cached stickily by browsers so anyone that's accessed your shop via the domain will struggle to see it.
Second, you've mixed the syntax of two different apache modules in your htaccess code
Code: Select all
Redirect 301 /index2.html https://SHOP URL HERE/shop/index.php
is a mod_alias directive, so checking whether mod_rewrite is active is irrelevant. You should just have this line on its own (with 302 instead) or for mod_rewrite the block should be
Code: Select all
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^index2\.html$ https://SHOP_URL_HERE/shop/index.php [R=302,L]
</IfModule>