Page 1 of 1

A question about the two files called Configure.php

Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2026 3:16 am
by cerberus
Hi all, its me again :)

A question about the two files called Configure.php

From reading I am of the understanding their are two of them, one in public_html/shop/includes/configure.php (this one is mentioned in the admin of the Phoenix cart)

And the other is in admin/includes/configure.php (not mentioned in admin)

How important is it to set these files to 444 ? I see 444 means Read Only. In the admin of the shop it only mentions one configure.php to set permissions (not two)

Do I set them to 444 after I have finished setting up my shop ? or can I do it now or at anytime ? I am concerned (as I know little about these things) if I set them to 444 now it may hinder my shop setup/build/adjustment (as the two files will then be read only and I have no idea if that will affect anything I am doing with the shop).

And do I need to adjust anything in both files before I set them to 444 ?


This is the page I was reading about them :

https://phoenixcart.org/phoenixcartwiki ... s_with_PHP

Thank you all again,
Steve

Re: A question about the two files called Configure.php

Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2026 5:55 am
by Kofod95
In general, as soon as the install-procedure is done, you should change the permissions for both the configure-files.
The install will write the paths and database-connection values to the configure files, and once that is done, no more edits are needed.

The configure-files holds crucial information, so they are best kept at as low permissions as possible. You can read a little bit more here https://phoenixcart.org/phoenixcartwiki ... ermissions

//Daniel

Re: A question about the two files called Configure.php

Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2026 6:04 am
by BrockleyJohn
Setting them to 444 isn't irreversible. It prevents anything or anyone editing them until it is changed again by the owner or a root user.

It makes it harder for malware or a hacker to inject malicious code or hijack the site. So it's standard good practice.

You won't need to change them yourself. The only changes that I can think you are likely to want to make to these files are changes to the error reporting and logging. For example, you may want to display errors while you are developing the shop but this must be turned off once you are ready to go live.
It is easy to change the permissions while you make an edit like this and then change back.

Re: A question about the two files called Configure.php

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2026 2:03 am
by cerberus
Thank you for explaining Kofod95 and BrockleyJohn.
And again I understand a very little bit more :)

Re: A question about the two files called Configure.php

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2026 6:39 am
by Kofod95
It's good to see you asking - keep 'em coming! Trial and error and questions are good ways of learning :)

//Daniel