Shipping zones in UK/ shipping module

Ask the community for help and support.
zeeshop

Shipping zones in UK/ shipping module

Post by zeeshop »

Hi,

Is it possible to define separate shipping prices for specific post codes of UK, as there is additional cost to Northern Ireland, Scottish Highlands & Isles , Channel Islands , Scilly Islands compare to UK mainland.

Even if I set Northern Ireland as a Zone of UK, as I am using "Shipping Rate" module, it is not possible to define zone here.

@heatherbell suggested one possible solution here:
https://forums.oscommerce.com/topic/494 ... ng-module/
but as this is few years old now, I hope there may be something better and straightforward available now.

Thanks
heatherbell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Shipping zones in UK/ shipping module

Post by heatherbell »

zeeshop wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:35 am Even if I set Northern Ireland as a Zone of UK, as I am using "Shipping Rate" module, it is not possible to define zone here.
@heatherbell suggested one possible solution here:
There is no "Shipping Rate" mod in core so don't know what that is.
That is what we are still using:
In Zones we have Country - United Kingdom and all UK Counties added to that as Zones.
We use Table Rate from core.
e.g. for NI, create a Tax Zone called UK and add Counties that are standard shipping charge.
Create another Tax Zone called NI and add Counties that are in NI and non-standard shipping charge.
Create as many Tax Zones as you want.
Clone Table Rate for each Tax Zone and assign the appropriate table charges and Shipping Zone (which in fact will be one of the Tax Zones - the nomenclature is confusing).
More or less what I posted in the link you show.
heatherbell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by heatherbell »

zeeshop wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:35 amseparate shipping prices for specific post codes of UK,
I have tried Postcode shipping mods but they have all fallen down because customers do not always type their postcode correctly - I mean not just format but totally getting it wrong, tyop etc.
I have found my method using counties less fallible as customers choose their county from a drop down list so cannot type it incorrectly.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Interesting ideas.
I've been trying to work out a good way of using what's there.
It gets quite involved when you're looking at post codes too.

Counties are fine but if we're delivering ourselves, it could be free on one side of Kent and charged on the other.
heatherbell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by heatherbell »

Nigel wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:57 am Counties are fine but if we're delivering ourselves, it could be free on one side of Kent and charged on the other.
Yes, we have a similar situation in one of our shops. We do not trust that customers can type correctly and addons are often dependent on that so we simply tell the customer where we do and do not offer free local delivery on checkout_shipping and they usually choose the option accordingly but, of course, there's no accounting for customers.
puddlec
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by puddlec »

what I did was modify an old addon called zipship (i think, may of just used it as a starting point, to work out the other parts, ages since i created the code needed ) to just have a list of the first parts of the postcodes, in three sections, which was for the three different zones we used, for some postcode areas I drilled down a bit further e.g. for PO postcodes (which includes IOW), to allow different prices for that areas, the code has extra stuff in it, for it to manage another aspect of the delivery that is needed for the site I built it for.

the code i uesd should scale up/down for the zones needed, but moving a postcode requires an edit to the shipping file, only thing controllable from the admin is turning it on/off, only been tested on frozen, but then it worked for my needs
puddlec
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by puddlec »

heatherbell wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:21 am
Nigel wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:57 am Counties are fine but if we're delivering ourselves, it could be free on one side of Kent and charged on the other.
Yes, we have a similar situation in one of our shops. We do not trust that customers can type correctly and addons are often dependent on that so we simply tell the customer where we do and do not offer free local delivery on checkout_shipping and they usually choose the option accordingly but, of course, there's no accounting for customers.
we have had a few instances, of customers not providing a correct postcode, some have even provided a valid postcode, but a wrong one for the delivery address, don't get me started on telephone numbers
BrockleyJohn
PhoenixCart Developer
PhoenixCart Developer

Post by BrockleyJohn »

I cannot figure how to pm people on here!

I have a postcode module - will publish soon.

Counties were removed from official UK addresses in 1997
heatherbell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by heatherbell »

> I cannot figure how to pm people on here!
Click on a member name and you will see contact is one way.
ecartz
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by ecartz »

BrockleyJohn wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:26 pm I cannot figure how to pm people on here!
Click their forum names to take you to their profiles. On the profile, there's a link. The text is "Send private message". It's in the Contact section, which is in the lower left.