Payment by PayPal

Ask the community for help and support.
Xpajun
VIP Member
VIP Member

Payment by PayPal

Post by Xpajun »

I'm having problems with PayPal on my live site 1.0.3.0.
The problems started around the beginning of the year, nothing has been changed on my live site
What is happening: someone makes an order and decides to pay by PayPal, I find the order in my Orders with the status of: Preparing [PayPal Standard] - there are no details in status history.

I've spoken to PayPal who tell me that the customer has not made or tried to make any payment. My PayPal log would seem to indicate the same thing.
I was under the impression that orders couldn't be set until payment was made and the customer returned to my site this doesn't seem to be the case with PayPal at the moment.

Has anyone any ideas why this shoud now be happeniing
I'm using PayPal Standard
Current Store is now running 1.0.7.5 - php 7.3.24
Now working on 1.0.8.19 - php 7.3.24
fimble

Re: Payment by PayPal

Post by fimble »

As far as I remember, Preparing[PayPal Standard] is the status set whilst the customer has gone to PayPal to pay, if they continue with the payment they are redirected back to your shop where the order is set. Pending is just a holding of the order data whilst waiting for PayPal to confirm Payment has been processed. Otherwise its an abandoned payment / card that you can delete, or leave there.

Hope this helps
Nic
Just happy to be here.
Xpajun
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Xpajun »

fimble wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:26 am As far as I remember, Preparing[PayPal Standard] is the status set whilst the customer has gone to PayPal to pay, if they continue with the payment they are redirected back to your shop where the order is set. Pending is just a holding of the order data whilst waiting for PayPal to confirm Payment has been processed. Otherwise its an abandoned payment / card that you can delete, or leave there.

Hope this helps
Nic
This is corrrect except for the setting of the order before payment - this has never happened in the past and as I said only been happening this year and it's not just one, it's many
Xpajun
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Xpajun »

An update:
A customer has made 3 attempts to pay by PayPal - third time lucky - the two previous attempts ended with: Preparing [PayPal Standard]

Something is not right - has PayPal changed anything? (of course they are denying this)
Has anyone else got this problem with PayPay Standard.
If you are using one of the other PayPal payment systems andnot getting problems - what are you using?
ecartz
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by ecartz »

Xpajun wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:49 am I was under the impression that orders couldn't be set until payment was made and the customer returned to my site this doesn't seem to be the case with PayPal at the moment.
Your impression is incorrect.

The PayPal standard module inserts the order after confirmation, then redirects to the PayPal site, and then update the order with the correct status after payment is made. This can be through the customer returning to your website or through an IPN message.

This isn't just that module. It's true of any payment system that redirects away from your site. And it has been true since before the community (Bootstrap) editions diverged from 2.3.4.1.

Now as to why it might be happening more frequently now than previously, I see four possibilities:

1. Something is broken and keeping people from finishing their payments.
2. PayPal changed something that keeps people from returning to your site and deleting their incomplete orders.
3. Fake accounts are registering and purchasing without finishing.
4. More people are choosing to stop part way through.

The first two would require technical action to fix -- exactly what would need diagnosed. The third is annoying but not really harmful. The fourth would require more diagnostics to determine why it is so.
Dan Cole
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Dan Cole »

Xpajun wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:20 pm Has anyone else got this problem with PayPay Standard.
I see that issue once in awhile and have always chalked it up to the customer not completing the purchase for some reason. I usually see the order finalized a day or so later.

Lately I've been getting duplicate payments for some reason...some with different order numbers and some are duplicate payments for the same order. It is very frustrating now that you have to swallow the PayPal fee to refund any extra monies received. They use to have an authorize and capture process so I need to take a bit of time to chase that down and see if it still exists.

Dan
mhsuffolk
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by mhsuffolk »

PayPal IPNs have expanded, could it be this?
I received this from them.

Reminder: Important information about Instant Payments Notification (IPN)

As a reminder, communicated through email in the first week of December 2020, PayPal is expanding the Instant Payments Notification (IPN) infrastructure used to notify merchants about events related to the status of PayPal transactions. This change has added seven new IP addresses from which IPNs are being sent since 18 January 2021.

Below are all of the IP addresses that are being used for IPN.

173.0.81.0/24
173.0.81.65 (New)
173.0.81.140 (New)
64.4.240.0/21 (New)
64.4.248.0/22 (New)
66.211.168.0/22 (New)
173.0.80.0/20 (New)
91.243.72.0/23 (New)

Call to Action

If you are implementing any Access Control List (ACL) or filters on IP addresses for the IPNs received from PayPal, we request that you add all the aforementioned IP addresses before 3 May 2021.

Doing so will help avoid missing IPNs from PayPal. If you have any further questions about this migration activity, please feel free to contact Merchant Technical Support (www.paypal-techsupport.com).

Yours sincerely,

PayPal

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Will there be any service impacts?

IPN delivery to the merchant will fail if a merchant does not add all of the aforementioned IP addresses found on the Status Page (https://www.PayPal-status.com/history/e ... ails/31029) before the cutover date, 3 May 2021.

What are the actions required by merchants?

Please forward these changes to your network team/system admin or, if you are using a third-party hosting service provider, forward these details to their technical support team. If you require further support, please contact Merchant Technical Support (www.paypal-techsupport.com).

Merchants implementing any Access Control List (ACL) or filters on IP addresses for the IPNs received from PayPal need to add all the aforementioned IP addresses before 3 May 2021. Doing so will help avoid missing IPNs from PayPal.

Are these changes coming up only in Production?

Yes.

Additional information:

PayPal Status Page (https://www.PayPal-status.com/history/e ... ails/31029)

PayPal live IP addresses Help Centre article (https://www.PayPal.com/us/smarthelp/article/ts1056)
Live shop Phoenix 1.0.9.0 on PHP 8.0
14Steve14
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by 14Steve14 »

Dan Cole wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:37 am Lately I've been getting duplicate payments for some reason...some with different order numbers and some are duplicate payments for the same order. It is very frustrating now that you have to swallow the PayPal fee to refund any extra monies received. They use to have an authorize and capture process so I need to take a bit of time to chase that down and see if it still exists.

Dan
Dan on very rare occasions I have a similar problem of duplicate payments but with Stripe and not PayPal. Never had one with PayPal. I do get orders left at Pending and if there is not a later confirmed order later I just email the customer using a recover carts thing Gary wrote ages ago and hope for a reply. If I here nothing I just delete the order.
ecartz
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by ecartz »

mhsuffolk wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:21 am PayPal IPNs have expanded, could it be this?
I don't see how expanding the IPN senders could cause this problem.

What it could cause would be for payments to come through PayPal that never appear in the store. It would still create the preparing order and never leave. Then looking at PayPal should show transactions for those orders. But that's not what's happening here. Here, the order is appearing in the store but the payment is never showing up in PayPal.

IPNs would keep the store from being updated to match PayPal. But what's here is payments not being made. The question is if there is more of those now than had been appearing previously.
Xpajun
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Xpajun »

ecartz wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:40 pm
Your impression is incorrect.
ecartz wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:29 am
Well that's answered that query :D
mhsuffolk wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:21 am PayPal IPNs have expanded, could it be this?
I don't see how expanding the IPN senders could cause this problem.

What it could cause would be for payments to come through PayPal that never appear in the store. It would still create the preparing order and never leave. Then looking at PayPal should show transactions for those orders. But that's not what's happening here. Here, the order is appearing in the store but the payment is never showing up in PayPal.

IPNs would keep the store from being updated to match PayPal. But what's here is payments not being made. The question is if there is more of those now than had been appearing previously.
And that has sorted another question I was about to ask

Thank you Matt