/ext or /apps folder for a PHP Class

Ask the community for help and support.
loop
VIP Member
VIP Member

/ext or /apps folder for a PHP Class

Post by loop »

Hi
I'm wondering where to put a php class i need (FPDF, to create PDF, which i will need in admin and catalog).
whats the differece from the /ext folder and /includes/apps ?
thank you !
ecartz
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Re: /ext or /apps folder for a PHP Class

Post by ecartz »

ext/ is for pages that you need to access from applications that aren't Phoenix. You probably do not want to put a class file there. In general, ext/ is not where you put something that you would include or require from PHP. It is where you put things that are loaded directly via URL.

includes/apps/ is for things that you do not want to autoload through Phoenix, perhaps because they have their own autoloader or naming scheme. You could include a class file from there. If you do, you will have to load it yourself.

If you just want to add a class for use in admin, try admin/includes/classes/override/

If you want a class for catalog (which will also work in admin), try includes/system/override/

Note that if you put it in an override directory to be autoloaded, it will have to be named like a Phoenix class:

Fpdf or fpdf in fpdf.php
FPDF in f_p_d_f.php

I.e. any capital letter in the class name after the first letter must be lower case in the file name and preceded by an underscore. This is to make class names like ShoppingCart look in files like shopping_cart.php
loop
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by loop »

Thank you!
but only to know the reason, if i need a php class ONLY in admin, why i cant put it in /admin/includes/classes ?
As it's a new file, i would not change a core class (why should i use override?)
thank you!
ecartz
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by ecartz »

You could. But then if core added a file with the same name, it would overwrite your file.
loop
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by loop »

okay, good point...