Any concerns updating jQuery (and Bootstrap3) in osC 2.3.4 BS Gold?

Ask the community for help and support.
cin

Any concerns updating jQuery (and Bootstrap3) in osC 2.3.4 BS Gold?

Post by cin »

Greetings Phoenixers!

I know that my post is about 2.3.4 BS GOLD, not Phoenix, but the new people at oscommerce.com suggested that their forum is no longer the place for support of previous versions... so you are my only hope.

A site audit on my osC 2.3.4 BS Gold site has pointed out that jQuery 1.11.1 and Bootstrap 3.3.7 have vulnerabilities that should be patched.

Can I update jQuery and Bootstrap 3 without breaking my site? Which versions should I update to, to keep everything safe and working?

Thanks!
cin

Re: Any concerns updating jQuery (and Bootstrap3) in osC 2.3.4 BS Gold?

Post by cin »

To be clear, I mean: which versions of these frameworks can I update to without breaking my osC 2.3.4 BS GOLD?

I know I can't switch to Bootstrap 4 without a bunch of work, but can I just update it to Bootstrap 3.4.1 without any problem?

Same for jquery, I'm sure I have to stick with 1, but can I just update it to 1.12.4 without breaking anything in the osC 2.3.4 BS GOLD core?
ecartz
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by ecartz »

If you update from Gold to Phoenix, it will update the versions of jQuery and Bootstrap as part of that. I don't know if Preston's updater supports Gold or not. You could ask under its support forum. Or you could just duplicate your live store to a test store and try updating the test store to see what happens.

I would expect you to be able to update to the latest jQuery 1 and Bootstrap 3 in Gold without issue. But I know that Burt isn't supporting Gold anymore. The official answer would be to update to Phoenix. This is a legitimate question here, but I don't know if anyone will be able to suggest more than
  1. Updating jQuery and Bootstrap will probably work if you want to try it on a test store.
  2. Updating to Phoenix will certainly work.
  3. If you want paid help, @raiwa and @BrockleyJohn worked on Gold. It's possible that they would still be interested in supporting it. Any of the three would presumably be interested in helping you update to Phoenix 1.0.7.1 or later.
zipurman
PhoenixCart Developer
PhoenixCart Developer

Post by zipurman »

@cin I would think using the migration tool should work:

app.php/addons/free_addon/oscommerce_to ... n_utility/

Like @ecartz said, try on a backup copy of the store. It’s going to come down to your addons compatability. Happy to help if you get stuck.
zipurman
aka Preston Lord
-----------
Happy to help where I can ;)

https://phoenixaddons.com
https://www.youtube.com/zipurman/ ** PHOENIX HOW-TO VIDEOS **