Test site layout problems

Ask the community for help and support.
ecartz
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Re: Test site layout problems

Post by ecartz »

zipurman wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:53 pm Not sure how that is possible as the migration utility simply copies the data as-is. The migration doesn't do any conversions.
But does it do a diff? Because the problem would seem to be that a < symbol was added at the beginning. The kind of thing that diff programs do. Then you get something like

Code: Select all

<This wonderful product
in the database which the browser turns into the

Code: Select all

<This wonderful="" product=""
in the web page. And it eats the next HTML element (because the < is never closed).

I don't know that that's what happened, but it at least seems possible. It's the kind of thing that can happen. Not a conversion to HTML. Just a one character change that causes the browser to try to interpret it as HTML.
zipurman
PhoenixCart Developer
PhoenixCart Developer

Post by zipurman »

No. It treats all character fields the same. So if this was an issue, I'd be blowing up migrations all over the place. Many people have used the tool and I have not heard of this issue at all ... thinking the issue is somewhere else.
zipurman
aka Preston Lord
-----------
Happy to help where I can ;)

https://phoenixaddons.com
https://www.youtube.com/zipurman/ ** PHOENIX HOW-TO VIDEOS **
RAC

Post by RAC »

Hello Preston @zipurman

I only noticed it a week or so ago, I don't know haw it happened but after the migration or the install of the Tiny_MCE all of the "Product Meta Description for SEO" were converted to HTML.

Initially I just copied the product description into the meta description, but I now know that was not the point of SEO, so I am now slowly changing it to key phrases.

I have never done any HTML before, here is an example I copied from the meta description of one of my products so I could see how HTML worked with my description:

<p style="margin-left:0cm; margin-right:0cm"><span style="font-size:12pt"><span style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif"><span style="font-family:&quot;Comic Sans MS&quot;">Vintage 1950&rsquo;s The Realization System Of Practical Psychology Booklets</span></span></span></p>

<p style="margin-left:0cm; margin-right:0cm"><span style="font-size:12pt"><span style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif"><span style="font-family:&quot;Comic Sans MS&quot;">Includes</span></span></span></p>

<p style="margin-left:0cm; margin-right:0cm"><span style="font-size:12pt"><span style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">&nbsp;</span></span></p>

<p style="margin-left:0cm; margin-right:0cm"><span style="font-size:12pt"><span style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif"><span style="font-family:&quot;Comic Sans MS&quot;">(1).</span></span></span></p>

<p style="margin-left:0cm; margin-right:0cm"><span style="font-size:12pt"><span style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif"><span style="font-family:&quot;Comic Sans MS&quot;">19 page booklet, &ldquo;The Realization System, by F.Dixon &amp; G.A.Dudley.</span></span></span></p>

<p style="margin-left:0cm; margin-right:0cm"><span style="font-size:12pt"><span style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif"><span style="font-family:&quot;Comic Sans MS&quot;">Lesson one Part A., Psychology Publishing Co Ltd.</span></span></span></p>

<p style="margin-left:0cm; margin-right:0cm"><span style="font-size:12pt"><span style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif"><span style="font-family:&quot;Comic Sans MS&quot;">Rather dog eared, minor tears and creases, however text clear and crisp.</span></span></span></p>

<p style="margin-left:0cm; margin-right:0cm"><span style="font-size:12pt"><span style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif"><span style="font-family:&quot;Comic Sans MS&quot;">Measures 18cm by 24cm.</span></span></span></p>

<p style="margin-left:0cm; margin-right:0cm">&nbsp;</p>

I hope this helps.
zipurman
PhoenixCart Developer
PhoenixCart Developer

Post by zipurman »

The point of tiny mce is to convert textareas to richtext/html. That will l likely be the cause of your issue. Every time you edit/create a product, tiny mce is likely converting your meta descriptions to html.
zipurman
aka Preston Lord
-----------

RAC

Post by RAC »

Hello again,

That would make sense, obviously if there was a problem other users would have reported it.

Sorry I can't be more precise on the timing of these changes, as I have said I only started editing my products recently, where I migrated nearly a month ago, I have been concentrating on the look of my site.

The HTML was on every product that had been migrated, only a small minority of these were edited by me before I noticed the problem.

Would a fresh install of Tiny_MCE convert all products that had not been edited?
zipurman
PhoenixCart Developer
PhoenixCart Developer

Post by zipurman »

No. Tiny_MCE "should" only edit the record that is loaded into the browser.

The migration tool is not able to change/add html to anything as it is simple loading content from old database and inserting it into the new one without adjustment. The only time the tool changes content would be from empty values to null in some cases.

I am not disputing that something changed your data ... I am just saying it wasn't the migration tool. You can inspect the code in migrate/inc/steps/17.php and see for yourself as that is the file that does the migration of database data.
zipurman
aka Preston Lord
-----------

RAC

Post by RAC »

OK, thanks again Preston.

Not a problem, all is sorted now.

It's a bit weird though!

I am now going to carry on the brain numbing job of adding the keyphrases to my products :)

Regards
heatherbell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by heatherbell »

RAC wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:47 am I am now going to carry on the brain numbing job of adding the keyphrases to my products :)
Tips on writing good meta descriptions https://yoast.com/meta-descriptions/