Tax Zones and VAT Question

Ask the community for help and support.
gabbysplaza

Tax Zones and VAT Question

Post by gabbysplaza »

Hello,

I've just got my VAT number and was wondering if there is a way I can add it to the invoice Phoenix generates.

Also, I need some guidance on Zones and Tax Zones. I know I have to charge my U.K customers tax but unsure if I will not charge my non-U.K customers tax as I don't know if I'm supposed to change them VAT, especially the customers in the U.S and Canada.

Currently, my shop setup adds the VAT to checkout correctly so no issues there. The only thing I'm wondering is how to exclude non-U.K customers from paying the tax. I figure it must have something to do with the Tax Zones and Tax but not sure how this works depending on country.
heatherbell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Tax Zones and VAT Question

Post by heatherbell »

gabbysplaza wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:14 amI've just got my VAT number and was wondering if there is a way I can add it to the invoice Phoenix generates.
Admin>Configuration>My Store - append it to your Store Address.
gabbysplaza wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:14 am Also, I need some guidance on Zones and Tax Zones. I know I have to charge my U.K customers tax but unsure if I will not charge my non-U.K customers tax as I don't know if I'm supposed to change them VAT, especially the customers in the U.S and Canada.

Currently, my shop setup adds the VAT to checkout correctly so no issues there. The only thing I'm wondering is how to exclude non-U.K customers from paying the tax. I figure it must have something to do with the Tax Zones and Tax but not sure how this works depending on country.
See User Guide https://phoenixcart.org/phoenixcartwiki ... _Tax_Zones
gabbysplaza

Post by gabbysplaza »

heatherbell wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:59 am See User Guide https://phoenixcart.org/phoenixcartwiki ... _Tax_Zones
Thank you @heatherbell

I've read that document prior to posting my question but don't understand how tax zones work. The document refers to a shop with in different locations called zones. How does this work? I have only one shop and am in the U.K so I don't quite understand this and how it helps me tax or not tax specific customers.

I have setup one tax zone called "United Kingdom" and this covers "all zones". My concern mainly is about non-U.K customers not being taxed, otherwise I'm fine with my current setup.
heatherbell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by heatherbell »

gabbysplaza wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:41 pmHow does this work? I have only one shop and am in the U.K so I don't quite understand this and how it helps me tax or not tax specific customers.
The page says "To explain, as an example, where the shop only charges tax in its own country."
Try that and test with a customer in a country other than where you charge tax.
If you don't know what Zones are, read - https://phoenixcart.org/phoenixcartwiki ... t_up_Zones
gabbysplaza

Post by gabbysplaza »

heatherbell wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:53 pm The page says "To explain, as an example, where the shop only charges tax in its own country."
Try that and test with a customer in a country other than where you charge tax.
If you don't know what Zones are, read - https://phoenixcart.org/phoenixcartwiki ... t_up_Zones
I love you @heatherbell !

That worked after a careful step by step follow of instructions. My non-U.K customers will be happy now. Thank you so much for yur help and patience.