Group Funding for Addons

Ask the community for help and support.
tedukes

Group Funding for Addons

Post by tedukes »

Hello,

Really loving Phoenix!! I converted an OSC 2.3.4 store over.

There are some really great addons but no where close to the choices for OSC. I'm sure in time, there will be more.

There is an OSC addon, Monthly Sales and Tax Reports, Link Removed, I'd like to see if it could be converted to Phoenix.

There is a version for Phoenix in the OSC addons, but its not current.

So, I was wondering if there is anyone else that would like this addon and willing to help fund the conversion by one of the Certified Developers. There are only a few developers and they do all the work for little or nothing. I think its only fair they are compensated.

Thanks!!
heatherbell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Group Funding for Addons

Post by heatherbell »

tedukes

Post by tedukes »

Is it subscription based? Looks like its only good for a year.
heatherbell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by heatherbell »

tedukes wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:23 pm Is it subscription based? Looks like its only good for a year.
No - the annual fee is for updates - like you said "I think its only fair they are compensated" but ask the author.
tedukes

Post by tedukes »

heatherbell wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:24 pm
tedukes wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:23 pm Is it subscription based? Looks like its only good for a year.
No - the annual fee is for updates - like you said "I think its only fair they are compensated" but ask the author.
I didn't mention this but should have. If group funding could happen, the addon would have been made available to everyone, free.
burt
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by burt »

@LeeFoster has (I believe) some thoughts on group funding for addons.

Your main problem is the fact that the buyer(s) of the addon do not actually own the rights to it. The developer owns the rights, so you'll need to explain to the developer that you also want the rights so that you can give it away for free. Maybe the dev is OK with that already, maybe not - in any case, it's always best to have these things out in the open prior to assuming everyone is on the same page.
Gamechanger Addon: Queued Emails, try before you buy.
LeeFoster
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by LeeFoster »

@burt is right, I do have some thought on this and I do see a lot of value in doing it. However it is not as easy as just getting a few people to put money into a pot to get it done.

You need a project manager to oversee things, making sure all the correct features are in as every member that puts into the pot will have specific requirements, finding and agreeing a price with a developer. Then assuming the price doesn't put people off you need to arrange all the funds to go into a pot before it goes to the developer.

Then there's the rights issue as mentioned. Happy to have conversations if you want to discuss further.
tedukes

Post by tedukes »

Yes, there would be a lot of hurdles doing group funding.

Just looking for a way to make Phoenix better and keep funding the developers.

There are a few paid addons I'm interested in but my immediate need is for a sales tax report. Others may have different needs. I would be happy to support their needs. There is a paid addon that does a lot more than sales tax. I don't need all those extras. I think something like a module in the core package for sales tax would be great.

I live in the US and don't have a clue about VAT taxes or whether a sales tax report could work for that.

I designed a 3D printed rotary axis for a CNC/CO2 laser for engraving, from scratch in DesignSpark Mechanical, I wrote statistical models in Fortran back in the mid 70's. I am almost clueless about PHP/MySQL. Phoenix is so much different from the old OSC2.2RC, I would know where to start.

Open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks
LeeFoster
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by LeeFoster »

You could become a pro supporter and hope that @burt releases an addon that does what you want or put a post on stating exactly what it is you need and see if anyone else needs the same and is willing to contribute either time or skills to the project.
tedukes

Post by tedukes »

LeeFoster wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:34 pm You could become a pro supporter and hope that @burt releases an addon that does what you want or put a post on stating exactly what it is you need and see if anyone else needs the same and is willing to contribute either time or skills to the project.
That's $13.38/month USD for me.