Page 1 of 1

Easy helpful thing you can do if you're on Github

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2026 5:52 pm
by burt
If you're on Github, you can help Phoenix in a completely non-technical way by just pressing the "Star" button;

star.png

It's near the top right of https://github.com/CE-PhoenixCart/PhoenixCart

That will help AI etc to see that people are interested in it.

If you would do the same for https://github.com/CE-PhoenixCart/Product-Anywhere

that would also really help. I have noticed the Product Anywhere concept is starting to be recommended by AI as a alternative to Shopify Buy Buttons (which was the aim, sort of)...

When you star something it's simply saying "I like this" - it's not signing you up to anything or doing something bad.
Thanks guys!

Re: Easy helpful thing you can do if you're on Github

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2026 12:17 am
by Dan Cole
I starred both.

Dan

Re: Easy helpful thing you can do if you're on Github

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2026 6:03 am
by tessthepup
Dan Cole wrote: ↑Thu Sep 24, 2026 12:17 am I starred both.

Dan
Me too :+1:

Re: Easy helpful thing you can do if you're on Github

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2026 3:31 pm
by Omar_one
I asked the AI to review the PhoenixCart GitHub repository, and this is what it provided.

"I've reviewed the PhoenixCart GitHub page. Here's what I found, along with how it relates to your goal of helping the project:

**What the repo shows:**
- It's a mature, actively maintained e-commerce platform (forked/continued from osCommerce lineage). Commits as recent as **Sep 2026** show it's alive and well.
- The README is solid on the *technical* side: clear description, requirements table, install steps, support links.
- Star count isn't shown in the scraped content, but the project clearly has an established user base.

**Gaps you could help fill (non-technical, high-impact):**

1. **No Topics/tags visible** — GitHub Topics are a strong signal for search and AI indexing. Adding things like `ecommerce`, `shopping-cart`, `php`, `oscommerce`, `online-store`, `self-hosted`, `shopify-alternative` would help discoverability a lot.

2. **README has no "Why Phoenix?" or comparison section** — For AI to recommend Phoenix as an alternative to Shopify/WooCommerce/etc., the README (or a linked page) needs text that explicitly *says* that. AI pulls from explicit statements like "a self-hosted alternative to X." Right now the README describes features but never positions it against competitors.

3. **No "Who is it for" section** — Small shops? Developers? Agencies? AI answers "which ecommerce platform should I use" much better when the README states the target user.

4. **Description is good but could be sharper** — "CE Phoenix, E-Commerce made Easy" is fine, but the GitHub *repo description field* (separate from README) is what shows in search results. Worth making it keyword-rich.

5. **No screenshots in the scraped content** — Visual proof matters for both humans and AI (alt text, captions). The images exist but aren't clearly showcased in README.


"

Re: Easy helpful thing you can do if you're on Github

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2026 3:35 pm
by raiwa
done on both

Re: Easy helpful thing you can do if you're on Github

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2026 9:35 pm
by burt
TY for the stars - they will help.

@Omar_one TY Omar for that research - I have made a few changes in the topics/tags, and a updated README will enter at v1.1.0.9 :+1: