Template Manager - Help, Ideas, Suggestions Needed

Cosmetic look of components or your whole site
azpro
Contributor
Posts: 192
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:25 am
Phoenix Version: v1.1.0.7
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 45 times

Re: Template Manager - Help, Ideas, Suggestions Needed

Post by azpro »

burt wrote: ↑Thu May 07, 2026 9:55 am Does anyone else have comments, ideas, suggestions for the page, or what
each `template card` in the page might show.

Many thanks to all who have replied in the thread, so far, I really appreciate you taking the time.
Nice work! Maybe a test mode would be nice. So only a logged on admin could see / test the template.



Join The Code Co-op to get access to your library in the Code Co-op Forum
User avatar
bonbec
Contributor
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:23 pm
Phoenix Version: V1.1.0.8
Has thanked: 57 times
Been thanked: 44 times

Re: Template Manager - Help, Ideas, Suggestions Needed

Post by bonbec »

I am currently working on a Windows 11 machine using wamp64 and PHP 8.4 (version 1.1.0.8).
I created the necessary files for a new template by copying the `override` folder and then changing every instance of `override` to `aradefault` (my template's name) within the `templates\aradefault\includes\template.php` file.
I also created an image named `aradefault.png` and placed it in `templates\aradefault\static\`.
Then, I went to the administration area under Configuration > Templates and selected `aradefault`. The template works fine—no issues there.
However... in the administration area, under Configuration > Templates, I see this:
Templates_Phoenix_Cart_Administration_Tool.png
For starters, the `override` template appears twice, and the installation links for both entries point to the installation process for the `override` template.
Logically, I should see the `aradefault` template marked as "installed" and the `override` template marked as "install."
Is this a bug, or did I make a mistake somewhere?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bonbec on Wed Sep 30, 2026 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo

User avatar
burt
Core Team
Posts: 4739
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:37 am
Phoenix Version: v1.1.0.8
Has thanked: 279 times
Been thanked: 467 times

Re: Template Manager - Help, Ideas, Suggestions Needed

Post by burt »

You did not mention the new manifest file contained in /templates/aradefault/static...
Have a look at that and report back..

My suspicion is that this file still contains "override" in places.
I am not here to build for you.
I am here to build with you. Let's help each other.

User avatar
bonbec
Contributor
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:23 pm
Phoenix Version: V1.1.0.8
Has thanked: 57 times
Been thanked: 44 times

Re: Template Manager - Help, Ideas, Suggestions Needed

Post by bonbec »

You're right. I hadn't thought to check the .json file.
Thanks a lot; I made the changes and:
Templates_Phoenix_Cart_Administration_Tool2.png
:+1:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
burt
Core Team
Posts: 4739
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:37 am
Phoenix Version: v1.1.0.8
Has thanked: 279 times
Been thanked: 467 times

Re: Template Manager - Help, Ideas, Suggestions Needed

Post by burt »

You should be able to also change the name (in the manifest) from `Over Ride` to `ARA Default`...as well as other stuff like the template maker name and so on.
I am not here to build for you.
I am here to build with you. Let's help each other.

User avatar
bonbec
Contributor
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:23 pm
Phoenix Version: V1.1.0.8
Has thanked: 57 times
Been thanked: 44 times

Re: Template Manager - Help, Ideas, Suggestions Needed

Post by bonbec »

Exactly—it was only when I posted the screenshot that I realized I hadn't cleared the cache. Fred's tired!
Here is the correct screenshot.
Templates_Phoenix_Cart_Administration_Tool2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
bonbec
Contributor
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:23 pm
Phoenix Version: V1.1.0.8
Has thanked: 57 times
Been thanked: 44 times

Re: Template Manager - Help, Ideas, Suggestions Needed

Post by bonbec »

Just a thought:
When installing a template that requires specific modules, you enable the module by setting it to TRUE, like this:
page_heading_module_true.jpg
.
However... this enables the module for all templates, which can cause issues.

My idea—though I suspect it might be a major undertaking—is this:
Display checkboxes for the templates to allow or disallow the module for each specific template. Something like this:
page_heading_module_true_checkbox.jpg
.
The list of modules required for the template could be located in the manifest.json file.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
burt
Core Team
Posts: 4739
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:37 am
Phoenix Version: v1.1.0.8
Has thanked: 279 times
Been thanked: 467 times

Re: Template Manager - Help, Ideas, Suggestions Needed

Post by burt »

Never thought of doing that - it would be amazing.
Have you coded it, or is that image a photoshop mockup ?

--

The way I attacked this was to have a completely Blank TPL override in the Template.

eg let us imagine your aradefault needed no title in the shopping_cart;

/templates/aradefault/includes/modules/content/shopping_cart/tpl_cm_sc_title.php <--- with nothing in that file

You then revert back to (eg) override ... and the title does indeed show, as it uses the standard output.

User avatar
bonbec
Contributor
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:23 pm
Phoenix Version: V1.1.0.8
Has thanked: 57 times
Been thanked: 44 times

Re: Template Manager - Help, Ideas, Suggestions Needed

Post by bonbec »

Sorry this is a Photoshop mockup. I like to "sketch out" what I’d like to have so I can visualize it better.

The empty file idea is appealing, but I don't think it's the solution. Let's say I have three templates:
- aradefaut
- araEaster
- araChristmas
Then I install "ignis." It modifies the navbar using `tpl_nb_boxes.php`, and suddenly that "Explore" item appears in all my templates. If I don't want that, I'd have to go into every single template to add an empty file.
Doing that locally, uploading via FTP, and so on ...
It’s too time-consuming and complicated, at least based on my understanding of the system.

User avatar
burt
Core Team
Posts: 4739
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:37 am
Phoenix Version: v1.1.0.8
Has thanked: 279 times
Been thanked: 467 times

Re: Template Manager - Help, Ideas, Suggestions Needed

Post by burt »

Yes, you have understood precisely - it can get complicated.



Join The Code Co-op to get access to your library in the Code Co-op Forum
Post Reply