Nice work! Maybe a test mode would be nice. So only a logged on admin could see / test the template.
Template Manager - Help, Ideas, Suggestions Needed
- bonbec
- Contributor
- Posts: 210
- Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:23 pm
- Phoenix Version: V1.1.0.8
- Has thanked: 57 times
- Been thanked: 44 times
Re: Template Manager - Help, Ideas, Suggestions Needed
I am currently working on a Windows 11 machine using wamp64 and PHP 8.4 (version 1.1.0.8).
I created the necessary files for a new template by copying the `override` folder and then changing every instance of `override` to `aradefault` (my template's name) within the `templates\aradefault\includes\template.php` file.
I also created an image named `aradefault.png` and placed it in `templates\aradefault\static\`.
Then, I went to the administration area under Configuration > Templates and selected `aradefault`. The template works fine—no issues there.
However... in the administration area, under Configuration > Templates, I see this: For starters, the `override` template appears twice, and the installation links for both entries point to the installation process for the `override` template.
Logically, I should see the `aradefault` template marked as "installed" and the `override` template marked as "install."
Is this a bug, or did I make a mistake somewhere?
I created the necessary files for a new template by copying the `override` folder and then changing every instance of `override` to `aradefault` (my template's name) within the `templates\aradefault\includes\template.php` file.
I also created an image named `aradefault.png` and placed it in `templates\aradefault\static\`.
Then, I went to the administration area under Configuration > Templates and selected `aradefault`. The template works fine—no issues there.
However... in the administration area, under Configuration > Templates, I see this: For starters, the `override` template appears twice, and the installation links for both entries point to the installation process for the `override` template.
Logically, I should see the `aradefault` template marked as "installed" and the `override` template marked as "install."
Is this a bug, or did I make a mistake somewhere?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bonbec on Wed Sep 30, 2026 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo
Reason: typo
- burt
- Core Team
- Posts: 4739
- Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:37 am
- Phoenix Version: v1.1.0.8
- : Buy Me A Beverage
- Has thanked: 279 times
- Been thanked: 467 times
Re: Template Manager - Help, Ideas, Suggestions Needed
You did not mention the new manifest file contained in /templates/aradefault/static...
Have a look at that and report back..
My suspicion is that this file still contains "override" in places.
Have a look at that and report back..
My suspicion is that this file still contains "override" in places.
I am not here to build for you.
I am here to build with you. Let's help each other.
I am here to build with you. Let's help each other.
- bonbec
- Contributor
- Posts: 210
- Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:23 pm
- Phoenix Version: V1.1.0.8
- Has thanked: 57 times
- Been thanked: 44 times
Re: Template Manager - Help, Ideas, Suggestions Needed
You're right. I hadn't thought to check the .json file.
Thanks a lot; I made the changes and:
Thanks a lot; I made the changes and:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- burt
- Core Team
- Posts: 4739
- Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:37 am
- Phoenix Version: v1.1.0.8
- : Buy Me A Beverage
- Has thanked: 279 times
- Been thanked: 467 times
Re: Template Manager - Help, Ideas, Suggestions Needed
You should be able to also change the name (in the manifest) from `Over Ride` to `ARA Default`...as well as other stuff like the template maker name and so on.
I am not here to build for you.
I am here to build with you. Let's help each other.
I am here to build with you. Let's help each other.
- bonbec
- Contributor
- Posts: 210
- Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:23 pm
- Phoenix Version: V1.1.0.8
- Has thanked: 57 times
- Been thanked: 44 times
Re: Template Manager - Help, Ideas, Suggestions Needed
Exactly—it was only when I posted the screenshot that I realized I hadn't cleared the cache. Fred's tired!
Here is the correct screenshot.
Here is the correct screenshot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- bonbec
- Contributor
- Posts: 210
- Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:23 pm
- Phoenix Version: V1.1.0.8
- Has thanked: 57 times
- Been thanked: 44 times
Re: Template Manager - Help, Ideas, Suggestions Needed
Just a thought:
When installing a template that requires specific modules, you enable the module by setting it to TRUE, like this: .
However... this enables the module for all templates, which can cause issues.
My idea—though I suspect it might be a major undertaking—is this:
Display checkboxes for the templates to allow or disallow the module for each specific template. Something like this: .
The list of modules required for the template could be located in the manifest.json file.
When installing a template that requires specific modules, you enable the module by setting it to TRUE, like this: .
However... this enables the module for all templates, which can cause issues.
My idea—though I suspect it might be a major undertaking—is this:
Display checkboxes for the templates to allow or disallow the module for each specific template. Something like this: .
The list of modules required for the template could be located in the manifest.json file.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- burt
- Core Team
- Posts: 4739
- Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:37 am
- Phoenix Version: v1.1.0.8
- : Buy Me A Beverage
- Has thanked: 279 times
- Been thanked: 467 times
Re: Template Manager - Help, Ideas, Suggestions Needed
Never thought of doing that - it would be amazing.
Have you coded it, or is that image a photoshop mockup ?
--
The way I attacked this was to have a completely Blank TPL override in the Template.
eg let us imagine your aradefault needed no title in the shopping_cart;
/templates/aradefault/includes/modules/content/shopping_cart/tpl_cm_sc_title.php <--- with nothing in that file
You then revert back to (eg) override ... and the title does indeed show, as it uses the standard output.
Have you coded it, or is that image a photoshop mockup ?
--
The way I attacked this was to have a completely Blank TPL override in the Template.
eg let us imagine your aradefault needed no title in the shopping_cart;
/templates/aradefault/includes/modules/content/shopping_cart/tpl_cm_sc_title.php <--- with nothing in that file
You then revert back to (eg) override ... and the title does indeed show, as it uses the standard output.
- bonbec
- Contributor
- Posts: 210
- Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:23 pm
- Phoenix Version: V1.1.0.8
- Has thanked: 57 times
- Been thanked: 44 times
Re: Template Manager - Help, Ideas, Suggestions Needed
Sorry this is a Photoshop mockup. I like to "sketch out" what I’d like to have so I can visualize it better.
The empty file idea is appealing, but I don't think it's the solution. Let's say I have three templates:
- aradefaut
- araEaster
- araChristmas
Then I install "ignis." It modifies the navbar using `tpl_nb_boxes.php`, and suddenly that "Explore" item appears in all my templates. If I don't want that, I'd have to go into every single template to add an empty file.
Doing that locally, uploading via FTP, and so on ...
It’s too time-consuming and complicated, at least based on my understanding of the system.
The empty file idea is appealing, but I don't think it's the solution. Let's say I have three templates:
- aradefaut
- araEaster
- araChristmas
Then I install "ignis." It modifies the navbar using `tpl_nb_boxes.php`, and suddenly that "Explore" item appears in all my templates. If I don't want that, I'd have to go into every single template to add an empty file.
Doing that locally, uploading via FTP, and so on ...
It’s too time-consuming and complicated, at least based on my understanding of the system.
- burt
- Core Team
- Posts: 4739
- Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:37 am
- Phoenix Version: v1.1.0.8
- : Buy Me A Beverage
- Has thanked: 279 times
- Been thanked: 467 times
Re: Template Manager - Help, Ideas, Suggestions Needed
Yes, you have understood precisely - it can get complicated.
