What's your Phoenix story?

General shopowner conversation that doesn’t quite fit into other sections.
Talk shop, share experiences, and connect with fellow Phoenix store owners.
User avatar
burt
Core Team
Posts: 4736
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:37 am
Phoenix Version: v1.1.0.8
Has thanked: 279 times
Been thanked: 467 times

Re: What's your Phoenix story?

Post by burt »

TY @FlagShipper !
FlagShipper wrote: ↑Sat Oct 03, 2026 6:39 pm About you
Been using OSc for years
Were you already aware of Phoenix?
Or did you have to go searching for what to move onto from old osC..
FlagShipper wrote: ↑Sat Oct 03, 2026 6:39 pm 7. What do you use that isn't built in?
Add-on for Square payments
Is this an Addon you made?
Or one you had made by someone else?
FlagShipper wrote: ↑Sat Oct 03, 2026 6:39 pm 9. What's the one thing you'd add or change?
Built in Square payment
If you made the addon, share it...
Things can and do go into Core Code, but they are generally things that are (a) coded to standard and (b) useful to a large percentage of Phoenix users.
I am not here to build for you.
I am here to build with you. Let's help each other.



Join The Code Co-op to get access to your library in the Code Co-op Forum
User avatar
burt
Core Team
Posts: 4736
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:37 am
Phoenix Version: v1.1.0.8
Has thanked: 279 times
Been thanked: 467 times

Re: What's your Phoenix story?

Post by burt »

@cerberus TY !
cerberus wrote: ↑Fri Oct 02, 2026 11:45 am Softaculous installer, there are a few shopping carts on the Softaculous installer, as I know nothing about any of them it was a bit hit and miss what one I installed, all I knew was I was going to use paypal for payments so I wanted a cart with a free paypal module. On the Softaculous installer there were also a few carts that said they have not been updated for ages so I left them alone, also the ones that did not have a free paypal module. The first cart I installed was Prestashop, but at the time I was experimenting on free website space, and even though prestashop installed ok when I tried to test it the free webspace could not handle it, used up all resources or something like that. Then I installed Phoenix cart.
This is interesting that you found Phoenix via Softaculous. We deliberately keep the `size` of Phoenix very small, in fact `tiny` so that it can more or less run on any host - we do this by having Core Code (ie the Phoenix download that Softaculous uses) and Addons (what you find in the addons area & forum) stand equally important side by side.

A few reasons why we care about this so much:

Hosting
Our tiny size, Phoenix will run comfortably on the cheapest shared hosting out there - exactly the kind of host that trips up bigger carts. @cerberus , you actually hit this yourself - Prestashop chewed through the resources on your free webspace before you even got it tested. A tiny Core means that's much less likely to happen.

Backups & Migrations
A small Core is quick to back up, quick to clone, and quick to restore.
Moving a small codebase to a new host takes minutes, not the best part of an afternoon.

Security
Fewer files and fewer dependencies means a smaller attack surface, and less that needs patching or auditing over time.

Understanding the Code
A small Core is also one a single person - whether that's me maintaining it, or you running your own shop - can actually hold in their head. @azpro touched on this earlier in the thread, being able to read the code and know what it'll do without needing to test it blind first. That gets a lot harder the bigger a codebase gets.

This is really the whole reason behind the "No Core Changes" way of doing things - Core stays lean because Addons carry all the weight of customisation, rather than everything getting folded into Core and bloating it over time. It's also, in part, a reaction to exactly the kind of "under the hood" unpredictability @azpro described hitting with Magento - a bloated core is what makes software behave in ways even its own users can't foresee.
I am not here to build for you.
I am here to build with you. Let's help each other.

cerberus
Member
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2026 10:54 pm
Phoenix Version: v1.1.0.7
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: What's your Phoenix story?

Post by cerberus »

Hi burt,

I guess I did pick the right cart then :) well at least in the end :)



Join The Code Co-op to get access to your library in the Code Co-op Forum
Post Reply