Overlapping Addons

If it doesn't quite fit in the other areas, put it here...
User avatar
Mort_Lemur
Builder
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2026 6:12 pm
Phoenix Version: v1.1.0.6
Has thanked: 67 times
Been thanked: 40 times

Overlapping Addons

Post by Mort_Lemur »

Im in the process of migrating to Phoenix from OSC 2.3.4, but first need to get the new site "Fully Loaded" so I am recreating what I class as my essential must have features. Some of these I will post as free addons, some I won't as they overlap with mods produced by phoenix developers.

One of these which I will post when completed is a simple google feed mod.



Join The Code Co-op to get access to your library in the Code Co-op Forum
raiwa
Certified Developer
Posts: 1665
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:08 am
Phoenix Version: 1.1.0.6
Has thanked: 72 times
Been thanked: 156 times

Re: Tester Needed - Googlefeed Module

Post by raiwa »

Mort_Lemur wrote: ↑Sun Jun 28, 2026 4:47 pm Some of these I will post as free addons, some I won't as they overlap with mods produced by phoenix developers.
I think this may overlap with feedmachine?:
https://phoenixcart.org/forum/app.php/a ... dmachine_6
Public Phoenix Change Log Cheat Set on Google Sheets
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

User avatar
Mort_Lemur
Builder
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2026 6:12 pm
Phoenix Version: v1.1.0.6
Has thanked: 67 times
Been thanked: 40 times

Re: Tester Needed - Googlefeed Module

Post by Mort_Lemur »

@raiwa
I think, looking at the description, that your Feedmachine does sooooo much more than my simple google feed module which is just configured to submit a minimal set of data fields to google - the user cannot alter these on a dashboard, only by altering or adding to the code.

User avatar
burt
Core Team
Posts: 4736
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:37 am
Phoenix Version: v1.1.0.8
Has thanked: 279 times
Been thanked: 467 times

Re: Tester Needed - Googlefeed Module

Post by burt »

There is no problem with overlapping addons - there are already loads of them.
Continue on your path.

The best outcome:
More choice for End User.

The worst outcome:
The one who made the `free` thing decides to no longer support it.

--

End user may start with the `free` thing, then decide..."this is good, but it's missing XYZ"...and upgrade to a `pro` thing. Similar as how some addon makers make a `lite` version and a `full` version - same concept.

Free addons are a small part of our community growth; they push the platform forward while paid addons provide long-term commercial permanence and help keep Phoenix `phoenix`.

Rainer’s Feedmachine is the gold standard for anyone needing feeds capability etc, but there’s always room for simple, code-level alternatives.

Addons, both free and paid-for is how a user makes their shop their shop. Some users are here because Phoenix is free, and free addons completes that circle. We're trying to move away from people `using Phoenix because it's free` and more towards people `using Phoenix because they value it and value the ecosphere around it`.

User avatar
burt
Core Team
Posts: 4736
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:37 am
Phoenix Version: v1.1.0.8
Has thanked: 279 times
Been thanked: 467 times

Re: Overlapping Addons

Post by burt »

Posts split from https://phoenixcart.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3385 in order to keep that conversation focused on Heathers new addon and testing etc.

This new thread for the philospohical debate on overlapping addons etc. :+1:

14Steve14
Senior Contributor
Posts: 942
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:01 pm
Phoenix Version: v1.0.9.1
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 111 times

Re: Tester Needed - Googlefeed Module

Post by 14Steve14 »

burt wrote: ↑Sun Jun 28, 2026 6:56 pm
The worst outcome:
The one who made the `free` thing decides to no longer support it.
What about the other option that the one that created the 'paid' for addon no longer supports their version as others are only using the free one. Then they do the same for other addons as they are not earning an income from them and decide to stop all addons and go somewhere where they can earn and income.

User avatar
burt
Core Team
Posts: 4736
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:37 am
Phoenix Version: v1.1.0.8
Has thanked: 279 times
Been thanked: 467 times

Re: Overlapping Addons

Post by burt »

@14Steve14 It's a good point, well made. When you put it like that - maybe the balance needs rethinking. Trying to please everyone is hard, so a debate on it might be helpful moving forward.

Out Loud Thoughts

It would be very simple to just nuke all the free addons from the marketplace. They help the end user but I wonder if they actually help Phoenix in any way? That's another facet to the argument, does Phoenix want users just because it is free?

Then again nuking free addons doesn't create people who value Phoenix, it just removes the on-ramp that got users to Phoenix in the first place.

I do believe free addons have a place. Unsure what that place is though. I don't have the answer.

Dan Cole
Senior Contributor
Posts: 548
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:14 pm
Phoenix Version: 1.0.8.21
Has thanked: 77 times
Been thanked: 68 times

Re: Overlapping Addons

Post by Dan Cole »

With continuing improvements in AI's coding ability I keep thinking that our developers are going to have to focus more on PRO type add-ons and that free stuff, whether it is located here or elsewhere, will continue to be developed by users who know little to nothing about coding but can prompt AI for the basics they need. I also think it is better that those add-ons are parked here to help Phoenix grow thereby helping both the developers and those who are frugal or looking for something simpler than what exists as a PRO type add-on. I think Gary's approach is the right one. That's my nickel's worth.

Dan
Last edited by Dan Cole on Sat Sep 05, 2026 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mort_Lemur
Builder
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2026 6:12 pm
Phoenix Version: v1.1.0.6
Has thanked: 67 times
Been thanked: 40 times

Re: Overlapping Addons

Post by Mort_Lemur »

Hi,

I'm happy not to post any more free addons, I'm only posting what I develop for my own site anyway.

I would also have no issue at all if you wanted to take all my free addons, make them available for a (small) cost, with all proceeds going to the phoenix project.

I have no idea how many users are downloading paid addons - But if you made Free actually mean £2 or £3 or whatever, then its affordable for all and helps phoenix. :)

User avatar
tessthepup
Certified Developer
Posts: 416
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:55 pm
Phoenix Version:
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 66 times

Re: Overlapping Addons

Post by tessthepup »

@burt

IMHO if we were aiming to be the next Woocommerce, Shopify or Magento then yes charging for add-ons would make sense when we have acheived that but to me that is not what Phoenix is about. Phoenix is not a hands off solution so if a prospective store owner wants to open a ready made store and throw money at it then maybe Phoenix is not the right solution for them. If they want to spend time creating something unique to their business and can put the time and effort into updates and add-ons and maybe spending a few pounds here and there with the authorised developers then they would have a store that is unique to them.

Myself personally I will keep releasing add-ons into the co-op (and charge a moderate fee to non co-op members) and the free section as and when I have the time to spare. I am still in early days of being a Phoenix Cart developer and thank those who have purchased my add-ons already.

As with Gary time is a precious commodity and in an ideal world I would love to spend everyday working with Phoenix Cart to challenge the big boys but it does not pay the bills unfortunately.

Maybe one day Phoenix will be a hands off point and click type of software but will that lose the soul of the project?
We have seen what happened when Harald sold OSC it went big and flashy and now it has no support or major develpment work in a long time.



Join The Code Co-op to get access to your library in the Code Co-op Forum
Post Reply