Overlapping Addons

If it doesn't quite fit in the other areas, put it here...
User avatar
Mort_Lemur
Builder
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2026 6:12 pm
Phoenix Version: v1.1.0.6
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 39 times

Re: Overlapping Addons

Post by Mort_Lemur »

Hi Gary @burt ,

The search (not pure AI but a google AI assisted search) that brought me to Phoenix was: "i am using osc 2.3.4 on php 5.6 what is the best option to update so I can use php 8+" which is quite a specific search. Tried it again now and:
When upgrading from osCommerce 2.3.4 running on PHP 5.6 to support PHP 8+, you are dealing with a significant technical gap. Moving straight to PHP 8.x breaks legacy osCommerce code because of fundamental changes in how PHP handles data types, errors, and deprecated functions. [1] (https://www.ozeworks.com/patching-oscom ... -to-php-8/)You have three primary options depending on whether you want to preserve your highly customized site or migrate to a modern, actively supported platform.Option 1: Migrate to Phoenix Cart (Highly Recommended)Phoenix Cart started as the official "osCommerce Community Edition" (osC 2.3.4-BS) before branching off into its own independent project. Because it shares the same foundational architecture as osCommerce v2, the learning curve is minimal. [1] (https://github.com/gburton/CE-Phoenix), [2] (https://www.oscommerce-solution.com/pho ... -i-26.html), [3] (https://www.ozeworks.com/phoenix-cart-vs-oscommerce/)Why it's the best option: It is fully responsive, actively maintained, and natively supports PHP 8+. [1] (https://www.ozeworks.com/phoenix-cart-vs-oscommerce/)The Upgrade Path: You can perform a fresh installation of Phoenix Cart and use the official OSC to Phoenix Migration Utility to port over your legacy MySQL database structure (customers, products, order history). [1] (app.php/addons/free_addon/oscommerce_to ... n_utility/)Downside: Any old v2 custom add-ons or custom template styling will not carry over and must be re-implemented using Phoenix's modular system.
So Phoenix does appear, but only if the search is right.

Yes - My modified Phoenix is MY PHOENIX as you rightly point out. But as I will be using phoenix very soon, I now have a vested interest in it surviving and thriving.



Join The Code Co-op to get access to your library in the Code Co-op Forum
User avatar
burt
Core Team
Posts: 4718
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:37 am
Phoenix Version: v1.1.0.8
Has thanked: 277 times
Been thanked: 464 times

Re: Overlapping Addons

Post by burt »

@Mort_Lemur "Vested interest in it surviving and thriving" - that's it, that's exactly the ethos I've been working towards getting traction this past year, distilled into just 7 words. I think my version was something like "If you value it, stand behind it".

Those 7 words of yours are exactly what I mean by not being a consumer. I really wish more people who turn up, download, ask a question and vanish felt that. Most don't, and I don't believe a Box version would have made them feel it either - you already feel it, and you got here off the back of one very specific search result, not a Box of widgets.

Don't get me wrong, changes are definitely needed. I'm open to, listening to, reading all the ideas. Believe me, tried almost everything over the last decade, if the community can up with something innovative I'm all ears. My thought keeps going back to the other thread, that recommended addons thread - it links into this discussion so well and shows pretty well how impossible it is to get uninvested members to do much of anything.

User avatar
burt
Core Team
Posts: 4718
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:37 am
Phoenix Version: v1.1.0.8
Has thanked: 277 times
Been thanked: 464 times

Re: Overlapping Addons

Post by burt »

burt wrote: ↑Wed Sep 09, 2026 8:20 am On the visibility point, this is well appreciated by me as I've been struggling doing it on my own. I've been trying outreach in places other than this site/forum. It's hard. I don't have enough time to do a good job. I more or less gave up. Happy users could equally do some small form of that? Post on the likes of Reddit, post on forums
What would be a super interesting experiment is this;

Go to the osCommerce forum. Make a post saying you are migrating to Phoenix. Tell them you have already recoded 40-odd addons to suit the modern way of no core code changes. Give them your personal case study. Tell them you're already a well-respected member of the community, tell them you've already uploaded 34 Free Addons which extend Phoenix in ways unimaginable on the old 234, etc etc. You get the drift, I know you do.

I haven't visited that forum for over 5 years, I've been forgotten about for sure.
You've still got gravitas over there, I expect?

A case study about moving from osC to Phoenix on the osCommerce forum, is near perfect visibility. That's the sort of thing that gets people to at least have a think about Phoenix, you said the osC place is more or less dead - that means there is 100s/1000s of shopowners in the same place you were - waiting for someone to show them light at the end of the tunnel. You've made a perfect blueprint showing scared users on php5.6 and legacy oscommerce that it's possible (and not difficult) to DIY migrate. Show them the way..

--

I realise its a hell of thing to do, but imagine being the first to lay it out plainly. This is the PHP I was on, now I'm on PHP8, this is how many core edits I had to make in legacy, in Phoenix none. I posted 10 help threads, every one was answered inside 20 hours. And so on. This is what I did, this is what happened, this is what went wrong, this is the advice I was given... and then the next shopowner using your blueprint to do it, then them posting their story, then another shopowner, and another.

You could package up those 40 addons into one "migration blueprint" mega-addon. Of course I realise that some of them will be specific for your shop hence maybe why "only" 34/40 are uploaded individually. That's potentially another way to get to a halfway "make it easy" place, right ?

User avatar
Mort_Lemur
Builder
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2026 6:12 pm
Phoenix Version: v1.1.0.6
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 39 times

Re: Overlapping Addons

Post by Mort_Lemur »

@burt

Consider it done - Tomorrow am

User avatar
Mort_Lemur
Builder
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2026 6:12 pm
Phoenix Version: v1.1.0.6
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 39 times

Re: Overlapping Addons

Post by Mort_Lemur »

OK - Done, lets see how long it stays there before being taken down.

User avatar
burt
Core Team
Posts: 4718
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:37 am
Phoenix Version: v1.1.0.8
Has thanked: 277 times
Been thanked: 464 times

Re: Overlapping Addons

Post by burt »

Amazing! Chapeau, as that took guts. :+1: :+1: :+1:

I'd be surprised if it stays up long.
Are any of the old timers still hanging on at that forum?
I am not here to build for you.
I am here to build with you. Let's help each other.

User avatar
Mort_Lemur
Builder
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2026 6:12 pm
Phoenix Version: v1.1.0.6
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 39 times

Re: Overlapping Addons

Post by Mort_Lemur »

burt wrote: ↑Thu Sep 10, 2026 7:16 am I'd be surprised if it stays up long.
Are any of the old timers still hanging on at that forum?
A few old names - also some who come here as well. Noticed a pinned post by someone called burt from 2012 !!

User avatar
burt
Core Team
Posts: 4718
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:37 am
Phoenix Version: v1.1.0.8
Has thanked: 277 times
Been thanked: 464 times

Re: Overlapping Addons

Post by burt »

Mort_Lemur wrote: ↑Thu Sep 10, 2026 7:33 am Noticed a pinned post by someone called burt from 2012 !!
:shock: Really? I guess that in itself tells a story :lol:

It was disappointing extremely when the new owners made it clear that Phoenix was no longer welcome - we kept osCommerce and the forum alive from 2015 onwards. Just visited to read your post - nice one! Also see this:

pop-alltime.png

Old timers still dominate the Popular list!

The new owners really shot themself in the foot getting rid of the one thing keeping osCommerce (the brand) somewhat relevant. To airbrush Phoenix out of osCommerce's history was poor form. History and that wound resurfacing - I probably shouldn't have visited. I'll be thinking about what happened between HPDL/Holbi all day :( :( :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am not here to build for you.
I am here to build with you. Let's help each other.

azpro
Contributor
Posts: 190
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:25 am
Phoenix Version: v1.1.0.7
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 45 times

Re: Overlapping Addons

Post by azpro »

History and that wound resurfacing - I probably shouldn't have visited. I'll be thinking about what happened between HPDL/Holbi all day :( :( :(
I (we) don't want to know ... thats''s the past - we move on now! With much better Core and team!

User avatar
burt
Core Team
Posts: 4718
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:37 am
Phoenix Version: v1.1.0.8
Has thanked: 277 times
Been thanked: 464 times

Re: Overlapping Addons

Post by burt »

This spiralled off into a number of threads, each kind of related. I'm not sure where each thread ended up so I pushed the whole discussion into AI and asked for each to be précis'd and analysed.

Thread 1: The Legitimacy of Overlapping Addons

Précis: Mort_Lemur announces she is building free addons during migration from osCommerce, acknowledging some may overlap with existing paid mods. raiwa points out an overlap with his paid "Feedmachine" addon. Mort_Lemur clarifies her version is a minimal, code-level alternative, not a dashboard-configurable tool. burt validates this, stating overlapping addons are healthy as they provide user choice, comparing it to "lite" vs. "full" software versions.

Analysis: This is a standard and healthy dynamic in open-source ecosystems. Allowing simple, code-level free alternatives alongside complex, UI-driven paid addons caters to different user skill levels without necessarily cannibalizing the premium product’s value proposition.

Thread 2: Economic Sustainability & Developer Cannibalization

Précis: 14Steve14 raises a critical counterpoint: if free addons dominate, paid developers lose income and may abandon the platform entirely. burt acknowledges this is a valid threat to the ecosystem. Dan Cole suggests AI will lower the barrier for free addon creation, pushing professional developers to focus strictly on high-value PRO addons. tessthepup agrees free addons should act as stepping stones or demos, not terminal destinations that replace paid support.

Analysis: This highlights the core vulnerability of volunteer-driven open-source projects. If the "free" tier becomes too robust, it disincentivizes the professional development required for long-term platform viability. The thought that free addons should serve as "demos" or "stepping stones" to paid versions is the most economically sustainable model.

Thread 3: The "Phoenix Pro" / Tiered Version Debate

Précis: Mort_Lemur and tessthepup propose a tiered system (e.g., Core, Essential, Enterprise) or a "Phoenix Pro" pre-loaded with addons to attract non-technical businesses that find the lean core too basic. azpro notes he is building a "Pro" hook layer independently. burt firmly rejects a centralized "Pro" bundle, citing three historical failures: (1) Users download, cancel subscriptions, and keep the code; (2) Bundling creates an unsustainable support drain; (3) It creates community friction ("two-tier" resentment). He advocates for the existing "Co-op" membership model instead.

Analysis: burt’s rejection of a "Pro" bundle is highly pragmatic. For a lean, community-driven project, maintaining a monolithic, feature-heavy distribution is a logistical trap. The proposed tiered system helps solve a marketing problem (attracting the "want it easy" users) but creates a fatal operational problem (support and maintenance burden). The Co-op model (ongoing membership for ongoing updates) is a more viable monetization strategy for this specific project structure.

Thread 4: Market Visibility & The "Best E-commerce" Search Problem

Précis: Mort_Lemur shares research showing Phoenix does not rank in "Best e-commerce software" lists. AI suggests Phoenix needs managed hosting, one-click third-party integrations, and zero-developer case studies to compete. burt critiques this research as two conflicting strategies: chasing the "easy/Shopify-lite" crowd vs. staying lean and sovereign. Instead of building new features to appease search algorithms, burt proposes a grassroots marketing pivot: leveraging Mort_Lemur’s specific, successful migration from osCommerce 2.3.4 to Phoenix as a targeted case study on legacy forums.

Analysis: The AI’s advice is generic and misaligned with Phoenix’s actual architecture (example, suggesting managed hosting when WooCommerce is also self-hosted). burt’s pivot is interesting: instead of diluting the product to chase a mainstream market it cannot structurally support, it targets a high-intent, niche audience (legacy osCommerce users or other Open Source eCommerce users) who already value self-hosting and are actively seeking a migration path.

Thread 5: Execution and Historical Community Baggage

Précis: Mort_Lemur executes the plan and posts her migration blueprint on the legacy osCommerce forum. burt visits the forum and expresses disappointment over how Phoenix was historically "airbrushed out" of osCommerce history by its new corporate owners (Holbi). azpro quickly intervenes to shut down the historical grievance, urging the community to focus on the present and their improved core/team.

Analysis: This thread reveals the emotional and historical context driving the project’s leadership. While the historical grievance is valid from a community loyalty standpoint, azpro’s intervention is necessary to keep the project forward-looking. It also demonstrates strong community cohesion: a user (Mort_Lemur) was willing to take immediate, tangible action to support the platform based purely on a productive dialogue with the project lead.

--

My thoughts

I think we're mostly agreed that Thread 1 is solved. Overlap is fine.

I was a little bit surprised we did not hear from paid dev's in regards to Thread 2 (busybeecommerce/tessthepup did mention co-op and marketplace).

Thread 3 exposed the fact that "Box" has already been tried and failed. Box was changed to "Box-less" (instead of the addons being built in, just pick and choose which ones you want) and that also failed. A new offering won't be any better, until and unless we can somehow move a majority of Phoenix users away from a consumer mindset, and into a "I value this" mindset. Remembering that "I value this" is not the same as "I need to spend money".

Thread 4, Phoenix lacks the budget and market share for mainstream "Best Of" lists - when Shopify & Woo & Bigcommerce makes those lists as it inevitably does, there is an affiliate kickback - those lists are not neutral. Low-cost, grassroots, niche targeting (like the osCommerce migration case study) is, I think, the only viable strategy right now. We could have been doing that for a decade - but no one thought to do so.

Thread 5. Done.
I am not here to build for you.
I am here to build with you. Let's help each other.



Join The Code Co-op to get access to your library in the Code Co-op Forum
Post Reply