Overlapping Addons

If it doesn't quite fit in the other areas, put it here...
Dan Cole
Senior Contributor
Posts: 547
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:14 pm
Phoenix Version: 1.0.8.21
Has thanked: 77 times
Been thanked: 68 times

Re: Overlapping Addons

Post by Dan Cole »

2. "What's new" regular email — Dan Cole added this.

This is difficult due to GDPR. Thoughts?
I don't know anything about GDPR or how this suggestion impacts that? I'm assuming that you might need permission and if that is the case maybe we need to focus on developing a way to do that. Perhaps we can get some thoughts/suggestions from those who are operating under the GDPR guidelines. What are other forums or e-mailers doing to comply with those guidelines?

Dan



Join The Code Co-op to get access to your library in the Code Co-op Forum
ecartz
Core Team
Posts: 3090
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:02 pm
Phoenix Version:
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 208 times

Re: Overlapping Addons

Post by ecartz »

burt wrote: ↑Sat Sep 19, 2026 9:00 am 3. Forum visual redesign — @azpro "make it white and blue."

Done - 3 hours that I don't have ... spent on this.
This is part of what I mean. One person says, "change the forum design". You waste three hours on doing something that at least some of the forum users don't like. It's still not finished. This absolutely was not a development task (the parts remaining may be). Why undertake it in the first place?

I read back through the thread. There's someone working on a Pro version of Phoenix. You should realize that I created a whole set of maintenance scripts for that. But instead of asking for help like access to those scripts, we find out, after the fact, that someone's recreating that. And doesn't want to maintain it. I don't see what the point is of announcing a project that you aren't going to support. We continuously pour out effort. We need a system that channels that effort into productivity.

Development is easy. Support is hard. And expensive, so it needs to be monetized.

At some point, you just have to say no. No, they can't have free work redoing the forum design. No, they can't have their feature in core. Just no. Just because something is actionable doesn't mean that you have to take action on it.

All that said, if someone volunteers to take over maintenance of the web site and coordinate volunteers, I can put a day into working on the add-ons area to make it less custom. I'll need the development version up again so that I can edit that first. That person can't be Burt, who has clearly said that he doesn't have time. Let's respect that.

Two problems leap out at me. One, a number of icons are broken, particularly in the add-ons area (a few seem broken in the forum). Two, some of the design in the add-on area is still using the old colors. I can devote a day to that (what was broken in three hours will likely take twelve to fix).

User avatar
burt
Core Team
Posts: 4719
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:37 am
Phoenix Version: v1.1.0.8
Has thanked: 278 times
Been thanked: 464 times

Re: Overlapping Addons

Post by burt »

ecartz wrote: ↑Sat Sep 19, 2026 2:00 pm You waste three hours on doing something that at least some of the forum users don't like. It's still not finished. This absolutely was not a development task (the parts remaining may be). Why undertake it in the first place?
It is hours I don't have, but it's not a waste of time => Forum looks more modern.
My hat is not just "development", be great if it was though 8-) :lol:

User can choose not to use this new look if they don't like it.
The black/orange one is still available.
I don't see what the point is of announcing a project that you aren't going to support.
Unsure who this is aimed at. Nor what project you refer to.
At some point, you just have to say no. No, they can't have free work redoing the forum design. No, they can't have their feature in core. Just no. Just because something is actionable doesn't mean that you have to take action on it.
Aimed at me I guess? Things I don't want to do, I don't do.
Things I do see value in, or just things I want to do - get done. Sometimes quickly, sometimes longer.
Two problems leap out at me. One, a number of icons are broken, particularly in the add-ons area (a few seem broken in the forum). Two, some of the design in the add-on area is still using the old colors. I can devote a day to that (what was broken in three hours will likely take twelve to fix).
OK, thank you. Missing icons is, I think, fixed - just called a more up to date Fontawesome. Changing the colours in the Addon area is probably some extra bits of .css that can be done at some point.
I am not here to build for you.
I am here to build with you. Let's help each other.

Dan Cole
Senior Contributor
Posts: 547
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:14 pm
Phoenix Version: 1.0.8.21
Has thanked: 77 times
Been thanked: 68 times

Re: Overlapping Addons

Post by Dan Cole »

Dan Cole wrote: ↑Sat Sep 19, 2026 1:44 pm
2. "What's new" regular email — Dan Cole added this.

This is difficult due to GDPR. Thoughts?
I don't know anything about GDPR or how this suggestion impacts that? I'm assuming that you might need permission and if that is the case maybe we need to focus on developing a way to do that. Perhaps we can get some thoughts/suggestions from those who are operating under the GDPR guidelines. What are other forums or e-mailers doing to comply with those guidelines?

Dan
Gemini stepped up and provided this overview and suggestions for implementation.
GDPR Compliance Guide_ PhoenixCart Monthly Email Rules.zip
If there is support for this I would be willing to offer a few hours of my time to move this forward.

Dan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
burt
Core Team
Posts: 4719
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:37 am
Phoenix Version: v1.1.0.8
Has thanked: 278 times
Been thanked: 464 times

Re: Overlapping Addons

Post by burt »

TY Dan for doing that, I appreciate it. I'll have a read of it tomorrow.
I am not here to build for you.
I am here to build with you. Let's help each other.

14Steve14
Senior Contributor
Posts: 941
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:01 pm
Phoenix Version: v1.0.9.1
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 111 times

Re: Overlapping Addons

Post by 14Steve14 »

burt wrote: ↑Sat Sep 19, 2026 4:34 pm TY Dan for doing that, I appreciate it. I'll have a read of it tomorrow.
phpBB may even have some addons for it to make it easy. Not used it so dont know what is available but regular updates may make people come back and at least look. Getting confirmation is the hard part I would imagine. easy for new subscribers as it may be possible to add in something when they sing up. Current users may be harder.

Dan Cole
Senior Contributor
Posts: 547
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:14 pm
Phoenix Version: 1.0.8.21
Has thanked: 77 times
Been thanked: 68 times

Re: Overlapping Addons

Post by Dan Cole »

14Steve14 wrote: ↑Sun Sep 20, 2026 10:06 am
burt wrote: ↑Sat Sep 19, 2026 4:34 pm TY Dan for doing that, I appreciate it. I'll have a read of it tomorrow.
phpBB may even have some addons for it to make it easy. Not used it so dont know what is available but regular updates may make people come back and at least look. Getting confirmation is the hard part I would imagine. easy for new subscribers as it may be possible to add in something when they sing up. Current users may be harder.
I was thinking the same thing Steve so if Gary wants to go ahead with this we'll need to see what our options are regarding addons that might be available for phpBB. I'm pretty sure we can find a way to encourage current used to sign up as well.

Dan

User avatar
Kofod95
Senior Contributor
Posts: 764
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:38 pm
Phoenix Version: 1.0.8.21
Has thanked: 103 times
Been thanked: 188 times

Re: Overlapping Addons

Post by Kofod95 »

This could potentially be something like what you are suggesting to find and use?https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2671486

//Daniel

Dan Cole
Senior Contributor
Posts: 547
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:14 pm
Phoenix Version: 1.0.8.21
Has thanked: 77 times
Been thanked: 68 times

Re: Overlapping Addons

Post by Dan Cole »

Thanks Daniel and there is this too....

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... istration/

Dan

User avatar
burt
Core Team
Posts: 4719
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:37 am
Phoenix Version: v1.1.0.8
Has thanked: 278 times
Been thanked: 464 times

Re: Overlapping Addons

Post by burt »

TY Guys - I'll take a look at both of these in the next couple of days.
I'm sort of learning phpBB as we go along so pls bear with me.
I am not here to build for you.
I am here to build with you. Let's help each other.



Join The Code Co-op to get access to your library in the Code Co-op Forum
Post Reply