Effects of Core Updates on Addons

If it doesn't quite fit in the other areas, put it here...
Dan Cole
Senior Contributor
Posts: 548
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:14 pm
Phoenix Version: 1.0.8.21
Has thanked: 77 times
Been thanked: 68 times

Re: Effects of Core Updates on Addons

Post by Dan Cole »

Mort_Lemur wrote: ↑Thu Sep 17, 2026 12:25 pm @burt I still prefer a combination of mine and @PiLLaO response :) So that would now read: "You changed Core ! You are a sinner and are going to Hell" :D
Hi Heather. I completely agree with your comments regarding updating and it is the reason I'm trying to support the add-on by John that I referenced above, and I think the community needs to do so as well. I think if we can lean into that it'll be easier to identify any problems that you might have updating so you can fix them before they become an issue. I know John is receptive to making that add-on the best it can be and is open to updating it as needed. I truly believe it'll help us avoid an even more fragmented community than what currently exists.

Have you had the time to take a look at the add-on? Documentation is lacking but if I can figure it out I'm sure you'll be able to do so. John is very supportive, so if you do any questions I'm sure he'll be happy to answer them.

Let's get behind this.

Dan



Join The Code Co-op to get access to your library in the Code Co-op Forum
User avatar
Mort_Lemur
Builder
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2026 6:12 pm
Phoenix Version: v1.1.0.6
Has thanked: 67 times
Been thanked: 40 times

Re: Effects of Core Updates on Addons

Post by Mort_Lemur »

Dan Cole wrote: ↑Thu Sep 17, 2026 1:11 pm Have you had the time to take a look at the add-on? Documentation is lacking but if I can figure it out I'm sure you'll be able to do so. John is very supportive, so if you do any questions I'm sure he'll be happy to answer them.

Let's get behind this.

Dan
@Dan Cole @BrockleyJohn Ok I did have a look at this and it looks great, but I did find a couple of issues, which I have taken the liberty to "correct". I will post the revised version in the co-op section to see if anyone else wants to get behind this so it can become semi official? All credit remains with the additional authors.

User avatar
Kofod95
Senior Contributor
Posts: 766
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:38 pm
Phoenix Version: 1.0.8.21
Has thanked: 103 times
Been thanked: 188 times

Re: Effects of Core Updates on Addons

Post by Kofod95 »

Mort_Lemur wrote: ↑Thu Sep 17, 2026 12:25 pm "You changed Core ! You are a sinner and are going to Hell"
I appreciate the fun in this, but I think the point Burt is making is quite important:
When someone uses Phoenix, it's their Phoenix. They can do whatever they like with it.
The more users that understand this, the better for Phoenix. If the software they have is their own, they will want to invest in it to make it as good as possible. With Phoenix, we are not buying a product or a service. Rather, we are shareholders. We can do whatever we like with our share - somethings would be stupid or counter-productive, but that doesn't mean we cannot do it freely.

I'm quite sure you think the same @Mort_Lemur, so this post is more for other readers. To let them know, that every user of Phoenix owns their software and data and are free to use and abuse it however they like.
Those of us who can, will try and help others who cannot to learn how to do things the best way possible, so most shareholders are pulling in the same direction.

//Daniel

User avatar
burt
Core Team
Posts: 4736
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:37 am
Phoenix Version: v1.1.0.8
Has thanked: 279 times
Been thanked: 467 times

Re: Effects of Core Updates on Addons

Post by burt »

Mort_Lemur wrote: ↑Wed Sep 16, 2026 7:31 pm I only joined in June this year and downloaded the latest version 1.1.0.6 and there have been 2 updates since with a third in development now.
This is slightly unfair in my opinion.

v1.1.0.7 June 2026 <--- should have been released months earlier but went overtime
During the gap between 1.1.0.6 and 1.1.0.7 there was a considerable amount of work outside the core release itself - supporting the community, maintaining and developing addons, dealing with changes in the core team, creating the new `IGNIS` template, launching the new website, introducing the Co-op, developing Product Anywhere, experimenting with ideas that were ultimately shelved, and handling the day-to-day forum activity. All of that draws from the same finite pool of time and effort.
v1.1.0.8 September 2026 <--- released early because of a critical security flaw that you spotted.

That you found Phoenix in early June...means you missed v1.1.0.7 by a few days.
I cannot fortune-tell when a new user might install :D :idea: :mrgreen:

I think it's a mistake for anyone to use any given time period (yours is a small three-month window) as evidence that Phoenix is releasing updates too frequently. The important thing is what each release contained and why it was released.

--

Discuss.
I am not here to build for you.
I am here to build with you. Let's help each other.

User avatar
burt
Core Team
Posts: 4736
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:37 am
Phoenix Version: v1.1.0.8
Has thanked: 279 times
Been thanked: 467 times

Re: Effects of Core Updates on Addons

Post by burt »

Mort_Lemur wrote: ↑Wed Sep 16, 2026 7:31 pm So, for the run of the mill shop owner, who does not like to dabble too much, who cant set up a test site to do a test upgrade and has limited funds I guess they will stay on the version they are using, without ever updating until something breaks the site such as a php change - and then move away from phoenix.
This is OK. But I think we're perhaps looking at this from two different perspectives.

I don't want people to simply consume Phoenix until something doesn't suit them and then move on. I want people to take Phoenix and build something of their own with it. As Daniel pointed out, when someone has made this software into their own Phoenix, they have a greater stake in the software and the ecosystem around it.

If someone chooses not to update, doesn't want to maintain their shop, and eventually decides that Phoenix isn't for them, that's their choice. We shouldn't design Phoenix around preventing that from ever happening.

What matters to me is that someone who does want to build their own thing has the freedom and the tools to do so, without us telling them how their shop has to work. That's what "Your Phoenix" means.

--

Discuss.
I am not here to build for you.
I am here to build with you. Let's help each other.

User avatar
Mort_Lemur
Builder
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2026 6:12 pm
Phoenix Version: v1.1.0.6
Has thanked: 67 times
Been thanked: 40 times

Re: Effects of Core Updates on Addons

Post by Mort_Lemur »

@burt
This is slightly unfair in my opinion.
Not meant as a criticism - merely pointing out that development is moving fast

User avatar
burt
Core Team
Posts: 4736
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:37 am
Phoenix Version: v1.1.0.8
Has thanked: 279 times
Been thanked: 467 times

Re: Effects of Core Updates on Addons

Post by burt »

Thanks, I didn't take your post as a criticism - more I wanted to make minor clarifications on a couple of points :+1:
Mort_Lemur wrote: ↑Fri Sep 18, 2026 7:09 pm development is moving fast
It looks fast from where you joined, but core development has actually slowed down because I've had to wear a LOT of other hats the past 12 months or so: community support, addons (not just my own!), dealing with changes in the team, new Ignis template fully integrated and 3 other templates ready to start integrating, new website including a revamp of almost all the copy on the site pages, the Co-op, flagship Product Anywhere, the admin CLI etc.

1.1.0.7 was months overdue, and 1.1.0.8 only came early because of the security flaw you spotted. Hence, "bunched up".
I am not here to build for you.
I am here to build with you. Let's help each other.

PiLLaO
Contributor
Posts: 131
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:28 pm
Phoenix Version: v1.1.0.6
Has thanked: 65 times
Been thanked: 17 times

Re: Effects of Core Updates on Addons

Post by PiLLaO »

burt wrote: ↑Fri Sep 18, 2026 8:56 pm 1.1.0.7 was months overdue, and 1.1.0.8 only came early because of the security flaw you spotted. Hence, "bunched up".
Are you talking about this? viewtopic.php?p=24552#p24552 or it's another?

To know if I need to update.

Best regards.

User avatar
burt
Core Team
Posts: 4736
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:37 am
Phoenix Version: v1.1.0.8
Has thanked: 279 times
Been thanked: 467 times

Re: Effects of Core Updates on Addons

Post by burt »

PiLLaO wrote: ↑Mon Sep 21, 2026 10:15 am
burt wrote: ↑Fri Sep 18, 2026 8:56 pm 1.1.0.7 was months overdue, and 1.1.0.8 only came early because of the security flaw you spotted. Hence, "bunched up".
Are you talking about this? viewtopic.php?p=24552#p24552 or it's another?

To know if I need to update.

Best regards.
Yes - the Stripe security fix. If you don't use Stripe, don't worry.
If you do use Stripe (and you don't want to update Phoenix), the link to the Github commit for just the stripe fix is in the post.
I am not here to build for you.
I am here to build with you. Let's help each other.



Join The Code Co-op to get access to your library in the Code Co-op Forum
Post Reply