Overlapping Addons

If it doesn't quite fit in the other areas, put it here...
User avatar
Kofod95
Senior Contributor
Posts: 764
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:38 pm
Phoenix Version: 1.0.8.21
Has thanked: 103 times
Been thanked: 188 times

Re: Overlapping Addons

Post by Kofod95 »

I think free add-ons do at least two things:
  • They give new-comers some faith in the project and easy access to small (and in some cases not-so-small) modifications and functions. This enables core to be lean and uncluttered, as the free add-ons can address common smaller wants
  • They serve as examples of how to do things yourself, and help new-comers and old-timers alike with code-examples and extension-ideas
A small extra is that free add-ons can serve as demos for paid full versions.

How to address the isssue @14Steve14 raised, I'm not sure.

//Daniel



Join The Code Co-op to get access to your library in the Code Co-op Forum
User avatar
burt
Core Team
Posts: 4718
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:37 am
Phoenix Version: v1.1.0.8
Has thanked: 277 times
Been thanked: 464 times

Re: Overlapping Addons

Post by burt »

How about if/when someone creates a Free Addon, they check the existing commercial addons. If there's paid addon(s) doing similar/better/more full featured etc, link to that/those paid addon(s) in the description of the freebie addon. This would help to protect existing paid devs' without touching anyones freedom to post freebies.

Thoughts? I am just throwing it out there, this is not a decided thing - it's an idea to have a think about.

If a consumer knows there is a better/useful (paid) options and still picks free because it's free, then they were never going to move from a consumer mindset anyway. My overriding thought; "we're trying to move away from people using Phoenix because it's free and more towards people using Phoenix because they value it" holds.

--

We have lost developers over the years, the most recent one was I think @zipurman - I'm unsure of Prestons reasons and I hope he's doing well and is OK - I believe most of his addons were adopted by John so at least the community wasn't hurt too badly. Much worse has happened than that in the past year, and the community is still here, trying our best - we've weathered worse and come out of it a bit battered but sill sailing the high seas.

--

I think Free vs Commercial is a little bit of a red herring. The better question is, I think;

How do we make sure the existence of free addons strengthens rather than weakens the Phoenix ecosystem? (which obviously includes the developer ecosystem)
I am not here to build for you.
I am here to build with you. Let's help each other.

User avatar
burt
Core Team
Posts: 4718
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:37 am
Phoenix Version: v1.1.0.8
Has thanked: 277 times
Been thanked: 464 times

Re: Overlapping Addons

Post by burt »

I forgot to say... the day Phoenix becomes Shopify-Lite is the day I hang my hat up, call it a day and pass the reins onto someone else. As long as I am involved, Phoenix will remain `phoenix`.
I am not here to build for you.
I am here to build with you. Let's help each other.

User avatar
Mort_Lemur
Builder
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2026 6:12 pm
Phoenix Version: v1.1.0.6
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 39 times

Re: Overlapping Addons

Post by Mort_Lemur »

I didn't realise my OP would spiral into this....

Firstly, apologies to any developers I may have upset by pushing out free addons as I compile them for my own store. I didnt realise there were 31 of them in a couple of months.

My perspective on Phoenix (and again apologies in advance if this upsets anyone - remember I have no friends :( )

I think I could group potential users of phoenix into 3 categories:

1) The small business, where the owner rolls up their sleeves and likes to tinker and dabble, paying a little here and there to get a site that is truly theirs - I think that 99% of people on this forum (with the exception of the devs) fall into this category.

2) The small business who takes a look at phoenix and decides that out of the box phoenix is too basic and does not have all the features they want, they dont want to, or can't - so they go elsewhere.

3) The business who won't even look at phoenix - too basic and cant be bothered even thinking about it.

So, I guess the question is how to capture businesses from 2 & 3? Well, I have to agree phoenix in its out of the box form does very little. However, what these people don't realise is that there are already 100's of addons that can make phoenix exceptional!

I dont think that in its current form phoenix will ever attract businesses in cat 2 and 3.

However, if there was a fully loaded version of phoenix (Phoenix Pro?) surely this could be marketed as a full blown solution, where the business could just be handed the keys, add their products and start selling? I know my own test site, with just about 40 mods now does everything I could ever need.

Now I agree that setting this up, providing hosting and setting up payment modules etc would carry a man-hour burden but that way the two streams could run in parallel, with the addons produced in the "Free" version feeding into the attractiveness of the "Pro" version.

So this may offer the best of both worlds - this community carries on happily as it is, while some of the Devs (and phoenix itself) benefits from the possible funding stream of the "Pro" version.

Out of interest I googled "Best free ecommerce software" and Phoenix did not appear in the list.

Anyway - Thanks for Phoenix - I love it :)

azpro
Contributor
Posts: 190
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:25 am
Phoenix Version: v1.1.0.7
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 45 times

Re: Overlapping Addons

Post by azpro »

I am working on a full pro Version - where a user/shopowner can Select / Choose / Configure litterally everything and anything - all "out-of-the box". Intended workflow: first you download Phoenix Core / Master as-is. After installing Phoenix Master you download "Pro" Package ZIP. No core changes - just an extra /hooks/admin/ which provide the layer .... I do use a different conceptual approach ... but only for the Extra layer.

Have been in contact with Gary @burt to keep him up-to-date. Since I develop just for our own business - I dont know whether it will make the finish. :D- And since I can't and do not want/intend to give support it remains te be seen OR and IN WHAT WAY it might be published ... But just wanted to mention for now this: I do know Phoenix Core can be extended beyond imagination.
Out of interest I googled "Best free ecommerce software" and Phoenix did not appear in the list.
It will eventually - it just takes time and effort ... and a few bucks for Gary to settle the Paypal loan ....

Omar_one
Senior Contributor
Posts: 692
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:06 pm
Phoenix Version: v1.0.8.16
Has thanked: 103 times
Been thanked: 60 times

Re: Overlapping Addons

Post by Omar_one »

burt wrote: ↑Sat Sep 05, 2026 8:46 pm How about if/when someone creates a Free Addon, they check the existing commercial addons. If there's paid addon(s) doing similar/better/more full featured etc, link to that/those paid addon(s) in the description of the freebie addon. This would help to protect existing paid devs' without touching anyones freedom to post freebies.

Thoughts? I am just throwing it out there, this is not a decided thing - it's an idea to have a think about.

If a consumer knows there is a better/useful (paid) options and still picks free because it's free, then they were never going to move from a consumer mindset anyway. My overriding thought; "we're trying to move away from people using Phoenix because it's free and more towards people using Phoenix because they value it" holds.

--

We have lost developers over the years, the most recent one was I think @zipurman - I'm unsure of Prestons reasons and I hope he's doing well and is OK - I believe most of his addons were adopted by John so at least the community wasn't hurt too badly. Much worse has happened than that in the past year, and the community is still here, trying our best - we've weathered worse and come out of it a bit battered but sill sailing the high seas.

--

I think Free vs Commercial is a little bit of a red herring. The better question is, I think;

How do we make sure the existence of free addons strengthens rather than weakens the Phoenix ecosystem? (which obviously includes the developer ecosystem)
Free addons should expand the Phoenix ecosystem, not simply substitute for the commercial ecosystem.

That doesn't require restricting freebies. It could instead mean making the paths between free → commercial → supported → professional much more visible.

That also seems like a much healthier conversation than trying to draw a hard line between “good commercial developers” and “people giving things away.” The ecosystem needs both. The trick is making sure they reinforce each other rather than compete purely on free vs paid.

I agree with your point about the consumer mindset, with one caveat: choosing free isn't necessarily evidence that someone doesn't value Phoenix. Sometimes free really is sufficient, or someone simply doesn't have the budget. The important thing is that users shouldn't accidentally conclude that free = the canonical/best solution simply because it's available.

Don't make free developers responsible for competitor research. Otherwise this becomes friction that discourages people from creating freebies.
If the community can foster a culture where free addons are seen as stepping stones rather than terminal destinations, everyone wins.

User avatar
burt
Core Team
Posts: 4718
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:37 am
Phoenix Version: v1.1.0.8
Has thanked: 277 times
Been thanked: 464 times

Re: Overlapping Addons

Post by burt »

Mort_Lemur wrote: ↑Sun Sep 06, 2026 9:08 am However, if there was a fully loaded version of phoenix (Phoenix Pro?) surely this could be marketed as a full blown solution, where the business could just be handed the keys, add their products and start selling?
Imagine a "pro" version that had about 100 good addons built in. How would the community react ?

Edit: added the quote.

User avatar
Mort_Lemur
Builder
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2026 6:12 pm
Phoenix Version: v1.1.0.6
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 39 times

Re: Overlapping Addons

Post by Mort_Lemur »

burt wrote: ↑Sun Sep 06, 2026 4:02 pm Imagine a "pro" version that had about 100 good addons built in. How would the community react ?
What a good Idea! Wherever did that come from? :D

A system that can hit the ground running, just awaiting products to be added. You could even provide the options of ready installed in a hosting package and tailored to the individuals business. - maybe even ongoing maintenance?

User avatar
burt
Core Team
Posts: 4718
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:37 am
Phoenix Version: v1.1.0.8
Has thanked: 277 times
Been thanked: 464 times

Re: Overlapping Addons

Post by burt »

Mort_Lemur wrote: ↑Sun Sep 06, 2026 4:10 pm What a good Idea! Wherever did that come from? :D
Yes, sorry. I was posting too fast - and neglected to quote you, bring up the idea.
I have fixed that now in my post above.

--

How do you think the community might react to a paid-for (yearly? monthly?) "PRO" version?
Bearing in mind that we have a large slice of consumers who only use Phoenix because it is "free".

--

2026 has been the first period where I've been actively trying to move views;
from "I'll use because it's free"
to "I'll use because it's a valuable part of my business".
I am not here to build for you.
I am here to build with you. Let's help each other.

User avatar
tessthepup
Certified Developer
Posts: 416
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:55 pm
Phoenix Version:
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 66 times

Re: Overlapping Addons

Post by tessthepup »

burt wrote: ↑Sun Sep 06, 2026 4:02 pm
Mort_Lemur wrote: ↑Sun Sep 06, 2026 9:08 am However, if there was a fully loaded version of phoenix (Phoenix Pro?) surely this could be marketed as a full blown solution, where the business could just be handed the keys, add their products and start selling?
Imagine a "pro" version that had about 100 good addons built in. How would the community react ?

Edit: added the quote.
@burt
I think we need to sound bigger and shout louder so my suggestion would

Phoenix Cart Core
No add-ons
Clean Phoenix Cart installation with no additional add-ons. Ideal for users who want to build their store from the ground up.

Phoenix Cart Essential
Essential add-ons
Phoenix Cart pre-configured with the most useful add-ons for running, managing and promoting a professional online store.

Phoenix Cart Enterprise
Full add-on suite
The complete Phoenix Cart package with the full collection of tools and add-ons for larger, established and high-volume businesses.

This does however throw out the question of who will compile these and also who will maintain all the add-ons that can/will break with future core updates.

Without a bigger core team with subordinates that will be super difficult to do.



Join The Code Co-op to get access to your library in the Code Co-op Forum
Post Reply